Liquid diet stage

Darksyde
on 8/3/13 8:52 am

Hey, everyone.

With surgery just over a week away, I'm starting to prep for post surgery foods.

Are there any restrictions in regards to acid? I've found some awesome gaspacho and chilled soup recipes, which, after the Opti, look like HEAVEN.  But between the tomato and the vinegar that they call for, I'm worried if the acid content would irritate the pouch?  (Although I AM planning on adding some plain Greek yogurt and protein powder)

What are your thoughts?

Orientation - 05/04/13  Social Worker - 08/04/13  Nurse Practitioner - 07/05/13  Nutrition Class - 13/05/13  Psych Assessment - 04/06/19  Nutritionist - 19/06/13  Dr. Urbach - 19/07/13  PATTS - 02/08/13  SURGERY AT TWH - 13/08/13  HW-393 Opti Start-386  SW-347

nmcgreen
on 8/3/13 9:20 am - Canada

I wonder about the vinegar.The greek yogurt might help for sure! I saw a avocado-cucumber soup that looks a bit more subtle. Uses broth and sour cream.

November 27th Referral sent. January Group orientation. April 10th Nurse . May 21st Nutrition and Behavior. May 24 Ultrasound. June 26th Group. July 16 Surgeon Surgery August 22

Laurie C.
on 8/3/13 9:59 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey:

Vinegar still bothers me and I'm over a year out, maybe find something milkier to start.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/13 10:05 am - Straford, Canada

you are in a very personalized area, to each his/her own!  For the first couple of months I couldn't stray very far from oatmeal or kashi lean.  Eventually it loosened up some but it took a while and lots of trying, failing and trying something else.  Enjoy the ride, its not without its bumps!  

LittleMiss2013
on 8/3/13 2:12 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I would say "when in doubt, leave it out". At least until you are further out and healed?

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/13 9:55 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Those soups would likely fit into the pureed stage and not the full fluid stage.  Fluids are usually broth or strained cream soups when it comes to soup.  The gazpacho is pureed vegetables so definitely wouldn't attempt it until that stage.  A can of tomato soup will seem like heaven after all the sweetness of Optifast.

Pawsitive_One
on 8/4/13 9:21 am
RNY on 07/02/13

Perhaps sometime after week 4 when your new pouch has had a bit more of a chance to heal...otherwise too much acidity can aggravate the newly formed edges to your new stomach.   Other than that, Ian is right - to each their own. 

I LOVED tomato soups before surgery and I'm finding that even after 4 weeks out, my stomach cant handle it   BUT I'm still giving going to keep giving it a shot again from time to time.  Oddly enough, I have no problems with drinking water with freshly squeezed lemon juice in it.  

Keep up the great work with your Opti!!  Just remember that each dietary stage post op isn't forever and it gets better and better!  I think I shed a tear when I took a bite of my first poached egg LOL!

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics