Good news and bad news...

reliena
on 8/6/13 7:01 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hi all,

I'm sure I would have been bounding in here sooner to tell you my good news, but unfortunately, the bad news was pretty bad. My aunt, who I was very close to, died Saturday, July 27th from septicemia, after a long stay in the hospital due to her many, many co-morbidities at 65 years old. Her weight gain started in the late 70s, when she was prescribed huge doses of corticosteroids for serious asthma, which made her start to balloon, and cease physical activity. Her husband pretty much ignored her for the next 35 years (he's Catholic, so he wouldn't divorce, and she loved him too much to leave) so she resorted to comfort eating. 

By her early 60s she had type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, migraines, etc etc, culminating in a series of strokes and congestive heart failure, liver failure... basically, anything awful you can think of.

The last time I was able to visit her, in June, she told me not to end up like her. It broke my heart.

So the good news? I was finally able to see my gastroenterologist and talk to him about being referred to the registry. We spoke for over an hour, with him suggesting I wait for weight loss drugs to be approved (he had heard about diabetes drugs that caused weight loss as an unexpected side effect, but we're talking maybe 30-50 lb losses, not 100+), that he worried about my Crohn's disease being active (so I'm getting an MRI, yuck!), and finally, him seeing why I want to pursue this, and FINALLY agreeing to do the referral. I think the final motivation for his agreeing was that I was willing to go through with colonoscopy and endoscopy if the surgeons were willing to go through with it, and that my aunt had just died of all the things I am worried about happening to me.

I'm still very much in the grieving process for my aunt. She was a beautiful, innocent and kind soul and I will miss her greatly. But I feel she would be proud of me for making this difficult choice for my future health.

Lolabug
on 8/6/13 7:07 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

So sorry to hear about your aunt. But I'm sure that she will be with you every step of the way cheering you on in spirit. Good luck on your journey.

reliena
on 8/6/13 7:21 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thank-you Lola! Yeah, I think she would have just wanted me to live a better life than she did.

G_mama_d
on 8/6/13 8:04 am - North Bay, Canada
My condolences and good luck on your journey. Someties it feels like a hurry up and wait process, but eventually we will all get through it.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

reliena
on 8/6/13 8:09 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks Gael. It does feel like a lot of waiting, but I have a lot of life ahead of me, so I'm trying to focus on the good.

Nanato2
on 8/6/13 8:07 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

So sorry for your loss.

So glad you got your referral as I advised my crohns is active and I had the surgery and have lost 100 so far.  

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

reliena
on 8/6/13 8:11 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks so much for the condolence and your continued support! It really means a lot. Dr. Atin is concerned about them operating if my Crohn's is active in the stomach, for the VSG, but I haven't had any symptoms of active Crohn's since 2005, when I had my resection. I think I will be fine, but I will happily go through the scopes if it makes Dr. Atin more confident.

gwynnkitty
on 8/6/13 10:38 am - North York, Canada

Oh honey...I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :( It's never easy, that's for sure. 

I think you're making an important, wonderful step for yourself - and we'll all be right here supporting you. (((HUGS)))

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

reliena
on 8/6/13 10:48 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thank-you Gwynn... that means so much!

Pawsitive_One
on 8/6/13 12:04 pm
RNY on 07/02/13

I'm so terribly sorry to hear of your loss....Your aunt sounds like an incredibly wonderful and strong woman and there's no doubt in my mind that she will always be with you, cheering you on with each step of on your new journey.  

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics