FRUSTRATED!!! -- What Happened to Patient Distribution???

shoshanaApr2013
on 8/8/13 6:17 am
I'm a bit frustrated right now and could use some advice.

I was referred in early April. My doctor received confirmation of the referral in mid-April.

It was my understanding that patients were supposed to be distributed based on the date their referral was received and assigned to a hospital based on wait time distribution and their postal code. Looking at other people's posts, I can quickly pick out 4 people who were referred 2 weeks to a month after I was, and have already had their Orientation, 1st and sometimes 2nd surgical appointments, RD & SW, and RN appointments. I still have not heard from the Registry.

I have emailed the Registry twice and left 2 voicemails, and have not heard back.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how I can get the ball rolling? I understand there's a wait, and expected at least a year before I got a surgery date, but I also expected that I'd be processed based on referral date. This seems unfair. I was also assigned to Hamilton, which bypasses all of the Toronto hospitals as I live east of Toronto (the postal code tool on the Registry website keeps indicating that I should be at Humber Church).

Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 6:25 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

The registry is in Hamilton so unless you were told you are going there, odds are you were referred to the hospital where your postal code dictates you were sent to.  You can email the registry and ask them what centre you were referred to.  Hopefully your doc put in your proper postal code.  If you email the registry make sure to give them your full name and address, DOB and OHIP number so they can find you.  

shoshanaApr2013
on 8/8/13 6:30 am
The last time I was in to see my doctor I asked to see the referral confirmation. My postal code was correct. When I sent my emails I included my Health Card Number, DOB, etc, like you've suggested (I got that tip from an earlier post -- thanks everyone!!!). I also wrote down the ID # the Registry assigned me and have used that in my most recent communications as well.
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 6:39 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Have you tried calling the Humber office to see if they have your referral since that is where it should have gone according to the registry website? Files get lost all the time so stay on top of it. 

HRRH Ph: 416-744-2500

shoshanaApr2013
on 8/8/13 6:43 am
Thanks, I'll try. The confirmation said Hamilton, but it's worth a try to call around.
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 6:45 am, edited 8/8/13 6:46 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Could also try Hamilton's own clinic instead of the registry office and maybe they can tell you if it's there and if it is they might be able to walk it to the registry to have it sent back to HRRH if that is the closest one to you.

Ph: 905-522-1155

ETA:  With it being summer, I'd not surprised you are not hearing back.  Lots of vacation time no doubt and likely understaffed.

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 6:38 am

It certainly is not fair, and I so understand how you feel. This January will be 2 years since I have starteed the process and I just finished my first set of appointments. 

I get so angry when I read people that are referred and have surgery within 3 months. Not fair at all. I am not mad at the person themselves I am mad at the system.

It will still probably be another year before I have surgery. Could be dead by then, system sucks.

shoshanaApr2013
on 8/8/13 6:50 am
WHAT?!?!? That's crazy. I'm sorry its taken so long for you. It's extremely disheartening.

Prior to the Registry existing I was on a waiting list with a local surgeon. I was told it would take 3 years. I went to all the pre-op appointments/tests. At 2.5 years I got a letter informing me that bariatric surgery time at that hospital had been cut, so the doctor was no longer doing the surgeries. 2.5 years of waiting went down the drain. Then the Registry came about. I had no idea it existed until this year when my sister and a friend were referred by their doctors. I wish I had known earlier.

Like you, I'm not mad at anyone who gets in earlier -- I'm happy and excited for them! It's the system that obviously needs improvement so that everyone is dealt with in a fair manner.
mispysmom
on 8/8/13 6:57 am - elliot lake, Canada
I.had a long.wait at first n.my mom who was referred after me.got her calls first, so i called my.doctor, and.he advocated on my.behalf...also the registry is not perfect....they.make mistakes, for instance,.they sent my info.package to someone else!!! Omg talk aboit privacy lol..make.some.follow.up calls! Advocate.for yourself u are worth it

Amanda

alysan
on 8/8/13 7:02 am - Canada

I heard it depends on your co morbidities such as diabetes and high b.p..  If you have some then u r bumped up on the list.

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Most Active
Recent Topics