Need help with alternative program info

Megan M.
on 8/14/13 2:15 am - Canada

My niece has been trying to contact Toronto West re the supervised opti fast program, but has been unable to  get through.  Can someone in the know give me a name/number that I can pass along to her.  Much appreciated. Does TW even have his program? Maybe she needs to contact a different centre.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Armyguy1976
on 8/14/13 2:28 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13

I could be wrong(often am, i am a man after all!) I think she needs a referral from here GP same as those that go the WLS route. I would recommend you try the gp first? 

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

Megan M.
on 8/14/13 2:57 am - Canada

You Re probably right about the referral, but isn't there someone she can speak to with a few questions?  I can call our hospital and get put through to the bariatric no problem.  She is having a hard time getting put through, so I am hoping someone on here has a direct line that she can call.  Sometimes simple things are very difficult!!

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/13 4:03 am, edited 8/14/13 4:04 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I've never seen anyone mention doing it through TWH but have seen it through HRRH and St. Joe's Hamilton.  I'd call one of them to at least get the info then find out if there is another centre closer to her and how she goes about getting in on it.

ETA:   Prior to all the clinics having Optifast, I had to get mine from Dr. Goldfarb in Toronto.  He still does the medically supervised Optifast diet.  Here is the link to his site.

http://www.optifast.ca/dr.html

Megan M.
on 8/14/13 4:15 am - Canada

Tracey, do you have a number for Humber River?  Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/13 4:22 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I just checked the registry's website and this is the number there.  Ph: 416- 744-2500

If Goldfarb is close to her, he is through OHIP as well and you pay the Optifast yourself just like all the others . He is the original Optifast doc in Toronto.

Megan M.
on 8/14/13 4:29 am - Canada

Thanks so much, I have passed this info on.

Michele T.
on 8/14/13 5:17 am - Canada

If you are looking for just Opti the clinic in Toronto the dr in Toronto that does is called Dr. Goldfarb here is a link of his info.  http://www.optifast.ca/dr.html Below if his contact information.  TWH or other baritric centers wont give you much info on Opti until you have your first appt. So if your daughter is interested in doing Opti early you can do it through him. (My husband did it) If you want her to have the surgery or info about the surgery the best way is to get your referral in and wait for Orientation.  Of course you can always post on this site :)

Hope this helps!

Etobicoke Medical Centre
400 The East Mall, 2nd Floor
Etobicoke, Ontario
M9B 3Z9

Tel: (416) 621-2220 
Fax: (416) 621-2357
Email:[email protected]

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

Lori_Lee
on 8/14/13 5:50 am - Canada

Just as an FYI my BIL did it, lost 130ish lbs through HRRH.

His official weekly program had ended but they need to go in for weigh-ins but not meetings.  I am not sure how much support he is getting besides that but the loss did him wonders. 

The optimist in me loves that he was so successful without surgery but there is a part of me wonders how he will manage without the 'barriers' surgery has provided when unsuccessful in the past - hope that part of me is wrong.

Again, I don't have full knowledge about the duration of the program and full support but as he was so successful on opti they kept him on until the end while others were starting food again and now he starting to eat a bit but seems to be more or less on his own.

TWH Orientation - Oct 17, 2012   SW - Nov 19, 2012   Nurse - Dec 12, 2012  Group Nutrition Class - Jan 14, 2013  Psychologist Feb 12, 2013  Nutrition March 15, 2013 Surgeon - April 5th (Dr Penner) Surgery May 16th 

Megan M.
on 8/14/13 7:48 am - Canada

Thanks for the info.  She called Humber and the wait is 12-14 months,so she now has an appt with Dr. Goldfarb on Sept. 18.

Most Active
Recent Topics