NEED SOME ENCOURAGEMENT

pink7sadie
on 8/20/13 10:33 pm

As we all know, WLS is a HUGE life changing experience.  Mind, body and soul changing...  We have to rearrange our entire lives and plan for our appointments.

I am pre-op.  I originally asked for a referral Sep. 2012.  I sat around waiting until June 2013, then followed up only to find out my referral was not correct.  My Dr. responded immediately, and I was referred to HRRH June 19, 2013.  I have seen others who have been referred to HRRH and 1 month later have their first appointment. Then someone also mentioned they waited for 7 months only to find out the hospital sent their package to the wrong address!

I am not a good advocate for myself.  I assume the professionals know what they are doing and I tend to sit back and wait, I don't want to "bother" anyone.  However I did call HRRH, and pressed "3" only to hear the automated message saying "we will contact you within the 12 -14 month referral period"  12 - 14 MONTHS!?!?! 

I'm really struggling with this, as I am waiting, and putting on pounds, getting discouraged, I can't make any major life changes (i.e. job change) for fear my surgery will happen right in the middle of any change I might make... 

Thank you for reading this far.  I guess I just need some encouragement, some advice, some guidance... This is a difficult journey and shouldn't be this way.  If I've made this life altering decision, than I should know more about than I do about my fate.

Monica M.
on 8/20/13 10:44 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

My advice, move along with your life. Make those changes if you need to. The surgery will fit in somewhere. It'll be ok.

Call and speak to a real person, be very polite and considerate, and ask where your file is in the process. You're not bothering anyone, i promise you.

Hugs, my friend.

Gabygee
on 8/20/13 11:07 pm - Canada

I agree with Monica. My surgery was at HRRH, and I can confirm that they are one of the two busiest sites in Ontario (the other being Hamilton).

Nonetheless, they are extremely efficient and usually on top of things. If there is a screw-up it is frequently at the referring doctor's end, and that is mostly because they are unfamiliar with the process.

Don't worry too much about the recorded outgoing message. That was a message designed to not encourage false hope - but the reality is, they will be quicker than that.

Monica is right - you should call them. Don't be apologetic, but don't be demanding either. Just enquire whether it is possible to keep you on the list for any cancellations, as you have already been delayed in the process by an oversight. And thanks them for considering it. You'll see it will go a long way.  

And when you do start getting your dates for the various stages along the way it will seem FOREVER - but trust me, you will suddenly be there, and doubting your own resolve.

In the meantime, you can start restricting your caffeine intake, getting rid of the soda in your diet, reading labels more carefully (no more than 10 g fat or 10 g sugar per serving) - that will prepare you for the real thing.

Good luck! You got this, no worries.

Katie M.
on 8/20/13 11:49 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
I agree with what everyone else has said And I know what you mean, I hate to "bother" people too. I would hate to think I'm annoying anyone. But if this whole experience has taught me one thing it would be to take charge of my health and my life. The first time I called TWH to see about orientation I had to spend most of the day psyching myself up to do it. And then had to call a million times to get a real voice on the phone. But it has payed off in spades, and every time I see my efforts result in something positive it boosts me up even more. And as others have said, if you're polite, understanding, kind, and sincere, you get results. I know exactly how you feel in wanting to just let the system take care of everything, it's so much easier and you won't have to be in anyone's hair. But my new favourite saying is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Not the annoyingly squeaky wheel lol, but the wheel that takes control over its own life - that's us!
I'm through TWH so I don't know exactly how HRRH works, but I've heard lots of good things about the staff. All you can do is call, and if they tell you to wait for your orientation letter ok but I bet if you say you've been waiting two months they will look up your file and check on things. Just don't give up

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

ToNewBeginnings
on 8/21/13 12:24 am

Everyone gave good advice. When I finally made the decision to have surgery, the wait seemed like torture. It was so worth it. Hang in there! 

My two cents: Keep busy living your life, take the time to educate yourself some more on this surgery and start working on some positive changes.

Your time will come!

SuzieQ11
on 8/21/13 12:41 am - Whitby, Canada
Mandalious
on 8/21/13 1:30 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Im out of HRRH also. They are lovely bunch and very supportive.

Call the same number, the ladies that answers the phones are alway nice.

Just state the facts. You referral was sent you are suppose to be based out of HRRH. You were wondering when your orientation will be.  This is what I did.   I was given an orientation date 2 weeks later.

I under the not being good as an advocate, but hun. This is a fight to save your life and prevent illness. Nothing wrong with a polite inquiry.

((( HUGS )))  This will be ok and you will do awesome!!!

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/13 1:37 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like your doc referred you directly to HRRH and not the Registry.  If that is the case then that could be the hold up.  Contact the registry by email with name, address, DOB, HC number and ask them if you are in the system and which centre you were referred to.  [email protected]  You will get an auto reply saying that nobody answers that email address but within a few days you will hear something from them.

pink7sadie
on 8/21/13 2:39 am

OK HOLY CRAP!!! Thank you all so much for the replies!  I made the call, and perhaps not a good time to do so as I'm tired and hungry (just got out of a long meeting). 

I HAVE AN ORIENTATION!!!!

She gave me the date right over the phone!!!!!  My orientation is Sep. 23.  Now I'm nervous, excited, you name it that's what I'm feeling!!!

Thanks so much all!  I'm gonna go eat something!  (Something healthy I packed a salad for my lunch )  

Pawsitive_One
on 8/21/13 12:24 pm
RNY on 07/02/13

YAY!!! Congrats!!! 

You started being your own advocate with your health and now your journey has started!   Don't stop here!  If you ever have questions regarding appointment dates, definitely give them a call!  I learned this the hard way too but most importantly, I hope that you've learned that you yourself are important and deserve the best of health!

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics