Identifying Triggers

DeidreB
on 8/28/13 1:12 pm

Just sipping down a protein shake after spending the day in bed.  I'm 4 weeks out and ate a scrambled egg for breakfast this morning while talking on the phone.  Its my 4th egg so I don't think its a bad reaction to egg.  Ate too fast, not enough chewing.  It felt stuck, lots of discomfort, sweats, nausea, +++ saliva (foamies?).  It didn't come up but holy mother what a day - 10 minutes, 1 egg, down for 8 hours.

Highlighted the importance of no distractions while eating and my emotional eating.  Also how important it is going to be for me to ensure that I make and take the time I need to eat - no rushed mornings or 5 minute desk lunches going forward.  Time to take care of me no exceptions.

jellyfishattack
on 8/28/13 2:16 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

I'm sorry you had such a long, horrible day! 

I learned the same lesson - to take the time to chew every bite properly - and once learned, never forgotten, eh? 

I still find, after 5.5 months, that I can't chew and talk at the same time.  Otherwise, I'd naturally slip back into 'old' habits of chewing & swallowing quickly.  Another time, I popped 2 huge vitamin tablets in my mouth and was about to swallow them, like I would have in my former life, when I realized, quite horrified, what I almost did.

Months ago, after 2 hours in bed with pressure, pain, nausea, and feeling like the pieces of meatloaf I bolted down too fast  were about to crawl up and right out into my throat, and that I had definitely formed a plug and nothing was going through my stoma, I went off to the bathroom and I felt so much better.  But I was amazed how hard it was to actually bring all the dinner back up.  I thought just looking at the toilet would do it, but I had to put some effort into it.  Relief was 95% immediate, the rest was milder nausea and a sense of fullness that took a few hours to abate completely.  I'm just not used to vomiting, especially when it tastes the same coming back up...  I've never had to vomit again. 

Note that I have never been bulimic or made myself vomit in my 38 years other that experience and once when under-pureed chicken which wasn't moist enough also blocked my stoma.  That time, I suffered in bed for 4.5 hours.  I wouldn't recommend vomiting if you had a problem more frequently, I'd recommend eating so that you didn't get a problem: but in these cases, it felt like I'd waited forever and wouldn't feel any better. 

Did you consider vomiting when you realized that you'd probably plugged your stoma?  I'm just curious.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Tammy B.
on 8/28/13 10:40 pm - Canada

Im six weeks out and I have had a problem with scrambled egg. pasta and raw carrots.....other people told me they never had a problem or threw up...but I guess we are all different.....quite a few times I had to lay down as my stomach didnt feel right...we just need to take our time and introduce the new food slowly....mind you i did have the white part of an egg since without too much ill affect but I havent tried any raw veggies or pasta since.

Darthmummy
on 8/29/13 9:07 pm
Ah yes, the attack of the killer egg. Had a similar incident 2-3 weeks back. Boiled or poached is so much easier for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics