I think my Social Worker has a god complex

SuzieQ11
on 9/7/13 2:26 am - Whitby, Canada

He wants to save the world - starting with me. My other appointments went so well, and everyone kept commenting on how knowledgeable I was and how well adjusted.

Then I met Him. Sigh. I was comfortable, we had some great frank discussions, and although I told him that I had dealt with all my past issues, and was in a very good place now with well-tuned coping skills......... he has delayed everything for a month. I did scowl at him, but he was really sweet about it, so I didn't punch him. But I might next month.....

I was honestly confused after I left. I wasn't sure what he wanted me to accomplish or focus on in the next 4 weeks - so I had to call him in the morning, and we had another nice talk. It's really hard to hate him.

They say that these things happen for a reason - I'm trying to remember that. He saw something that I didn't that made him think I'm not ready. Ok - I'll play this your way.

Sigh

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

gwynnkitty
on 9/7/13 2:33 am - North York, Canada

Well II can imagine that's frustrating. :(

Although, I do have to say...better to deal with whatever he thinks is going on NOW than trying to deal with it after. The hormones and craziness that happen later are enough to deal with, know what I mean? 

Here's hoping it goes well from here on out - it sure sounds like he's in your corner! :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

jellyfishattack
on 9/7/13 5:02 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi SuzieQ,

It's strange, I had to see the social worker first before the Nut or nurse, and thought she was a completely cheerless, definitely unfriendly person.   I don't think she smiled once.  Maybe she'd heard my joke about not owning a tinfoil hat after she'd asked me if I heard voices too many times, but what can you expect when you ask people if they're psychotic?

Then, I went to see the Nut, RN, and she sent me to my last appointment before meeting the surgeon - the psychologist.  I'd have thought he'd have sent you to see the psychologist next, not to come back to see him, but who knows how other centres operate?  The psychologist I saw, on the other hand, was a very kind woman who smiled whenever appropriate.

Try not to despair, or at least, try not to let him sense your understandable irritation and frustration - he'd probably think that meant you were resistant to his recommendations, vague though they seem to have been.  Take heart, I didn't see a social worker at my follow up last month (he'd retired the previous day and no one had called to cancel my appointment), and the receptionist didn't make me an appointment with a social worker at my next follow up in December, so you may not have to deal with him forever.  I go to the TWH.

Good Luck!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/13 7:30 am

coming from someone who had to see her SW 3 times, I feel ya ;) My social worker was an absolute peach and I adore her NOW but I definitely cried when she told me I needed a 3rd appointment. I was referred in May 2012 so imagine my frustration!!!

smallisland
on 9/7/13 1:08 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

(Hi sabbyxox, how did your appointment go with the surgeon?)

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/13 2:08 pm

Super well! i'm going to message you right now!

smallisland
on 9/7/13 1:11 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

I feel for you.  I thought I was all finished to find out later I needed to see the social worker again and my readiness for the surgery was up in the air.  In the end everything worked out ok. Going through the process can take it's toll on patience but in the end it is worth it :)

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

2mar
on 9/7/13 10:43 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

I asked to see a social worker at my 1 year follow up. He was a new guy and he is such a dipstick.... 

First when he entered the room he said " Hi Dear" ( what is totally unprofessional and patronizing behavior) - then he started to explain "where some area's of the brain process certain information" and he was TOTALLY off. 

I interrupted his conversation with a smile and a joke and asked him if I could give some feedback. I explained those 2 incidents and how I felt about it. Darn... he continued to explain that "with some people they don't understand it if he explains it the correct way" - he still did not get the whole "dear" thing.

He did apologize 10+ times to the point where I asked him to please stop apologizing - that there was no need for that. 

I just requested to "not call me dear"... and to give me correct info.

The following day he phone me with information and the info he provided to me was wrong and incomplete. 

Yups... some of the team members are just very good - some of them ?.... lol....

Some still think that people that are overweight are also dumb and uneducated and uninformed.  

I have a wonderful dietitian at HRRH - she is just superb! 

Sorry for ranting.... but this guy just ticked me off....  LOL

When you have one of those guys - just shake it off and if you are not going anywhere .... contact the bariatric team manager.

Best of luck. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Mary A.
on 9/10/13 2:02 am

well maybe he needs to fill his calendar and it's a slow period of time...LOL

but seriously...he should give you a very clear understanding of what he expects..I mean if his opinion etc has any bearing on what could/couldn't happen then he should make you aware.

Thankfully way back when I had my surgery, there were no app't of this type required..just the psch assessment.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics