So sad, so true - "Fat Phobia" in health professionals - study

Gabygee
on 9/10/13 10:08 pm - Canada

And the worst is, many of us fat people actually had the same defeatist attitude to ourselves!

I know I did.

The best part of this WLS journey has been losing the feeling of being an eternal sad soul.

http://www.windsorstar.com/health/Even+eating+disorder+speci alists+show+bias/8896995/story.html

Sunny123
on 9/10/13 10:27 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

Sad but true!

My family doctor is a healthy tall physically active woman around my age (50ish).

I remember going in for my annual check up and was dreading the weight talk (which we have had many time during the years)....When I mentioned weight loss surgery she perked up and was very encouraging and supportive of the whole idea.  She has three or four other patients who have had it and they have had great success ~ she feels I am a good candidate too.

Needless to say I've known her for 25 years and wasn't expecting that kind of reaction...hopefully more health care professionals can become more educated in the benefits of wls and in turn, learn to show sympathy to people who are overweight and need sincere heartfelt help.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Charlene Straus
on 9/11/13 12:07 am - Mississauga, Canada

The best is when you see a doctor and they proceed to say things like "You're overweight" or "If you lost weight" or "You need to lose weight" Seriously? You went to medical school so you could tell me the obvious? I actually came out and said that to one doctor. I was so ticked off at him. He was berating me because of my weight. I looked him in the eye, came out of my chair and said, "Do you seriously think you are telling me something I don't know? Do you honestly think I haven't spent the bulk of my adult of my years trying to lose weight? What part of your pea brained mind thinks that I like being a size 24, when I really want to be a size 6?" He was speechless. Didn't know what to say. I guess my bs meter went into overload and I had to let him have it.

Lorieliz
on 9/11/13 5:03 am - Canada

What is even sadder is how much more socially acceptable (and grant fundable) anorexia and bulimia are in comparison to obesity. Both can be fatal, but it's far easier to get help and sympathy if you are too thin.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

reliena
on 9/11/13 1:14 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Yes, yes, yes! I got a new GP last fall, and when I was in "weight loss mode" he was great. When a few months went by, stress from work and life had me turning to food and feeling depressed as the weight came back on, he basically told me to get over it and have more will power. o_0 so helpful...

On the flipside, my gastroenterologist of nine years has seen me at 130 lbs (with active Crohns) and now at almost 300, and he is always so kind, understanding and helpful. He never brings up my weight until I do, and when I was a little smaller but said "well, I am struggling with my weight", expecting him to be like "YEAH, NO KIDDING!!" he instead said that he knew what I meant, and he was too! Of course, he might be at most 30 lbs overweight. Still, it's so humanizing of him to be that way. It really highlights how big a jerk the new GP seems to be in comparison.

Most Active
Recent Topics