Weight gain before appointment

Northernlightsmom
on 9/29/13 8:40 am - Canada

Hi....I am starting to feel really nervous....I meet my Dr. tomorrow and have done really well losing weight and maintaining it throughout this whole process. That was until this last month.....I have gained back about 4-5 pounds and am so worried he will delay my meeting with the surgeon. I have been trying to eat higher protein foods in anticipation for the post surgery diet. I know I should have been more careful but was too complacent in the last 2 months. If any of you have gained weight during the process...could you let me know what I may be in for this week.

Thanks....

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Katie M.
on 9/29/13 8:48 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Between my psychologist meeting and surgeon meeting I gained a whole 8 pounds. It was a lot of things - hormones, not drinking enough water, nerves about meeting the surgeon and then eating the wrong stuff. I was freaking out that the nurse would weigh me at the surgeon appointment and I'd get a lecture, or even told that was unacceptable. But no one said a word! That was at Toronto Western, I'm not sure about what other centres might do but I think a difference of 4 or 5 pounds might not be a deal breaker... That could just be water! Try not to stress too much - if you've lost and maintained until this point then you're doing pretty well :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

4-Jane
on 9/29/13 8:51 am - Canada

Over the two years I waited I made many changes but I gained 15 pounds as well, my center weight me at the beginning and once at the end and really did not say anything about the gain.  It was hard on me because I was making changes and learning about my new life style but still saying farewell to foods I believed I would not eat again.  I think some of my gain was also a result of the no smoking thing, and given that I smoked for about 35 years.  I think I was still in a better spot with the 15 pounds and no cigarettes.  Keep trying

Respectfully Jane
Northernlightsmom
on 9/29/13 8:55 am - Canada

Thanks Jane....I can relate to the new foods and lifestyle changes.

I am trying to balance healthy eating while trying to rid my brain of countless Atkins attempts and misguided fad diet info from my past.

Northernlightsmom
on 9/29/13 8:52 am - Canada

Thanks Katie, I am ok with a lecture......just not a delay:(  There is already a time delay in this whole process.

Thanks for letting me know about your gain...hopefully this goes the same way.

Sunny123
on 9/29/13 9:05 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I've gained almost 20 since March....when I went to the nurse she said 'these things happen.' I said 'they shouldn't.'

I need to get some off before I see the surgeon, I feel your pain.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Northernlightsmom
on 9/29/13 9:28 am - Canada

Thanks Sunny....Nice to know I am not the only one :)  ...... I messed up and I guess now I have to "own up".

Hennagirliegirl
on 9/29/13 9:36 am - Canada

if they say anything ( which I don't think they should or will) Just say HELLO, if I were able to lose weight and keep it offmI wouldn't be here in the first place!

enlightened

Northernlightsmom
on 9/29/13 9:41 am - Canada

Thanks Hennagirliegirl.... Good point.

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/13 11:23 am

this is incredible ....

I am sitting here feeling like ****  Why?  I was gained 11lbs between May and Friday -- the nurse practitioner that weight me asked me if I wanted to know my weight - I said sure - and she told me it ... in, what I perceived to be, a slightly accusatory way.

I have been riddled with guilt ever since.  Wondering to myself what they probably think of me.  Maybe they think I am taking the easy way out ... maybe they think I am going to fail ... maybe **I** think I am going to fail ... yadayadayada.

That being said, in honestly, I know my life will change dramatically come the end of the month.  Food *has been my life* for a very long time.  I have found myself indulging in some of the key things I love ... knowing that I will probably not have them for a long time - if ever again.  I haven't been gorging.  But I sort of understood that I may have come in a bit heavier than the last time they weighed me.

That being said, as someone else said, water retention can certainly be a factor, and many other things. Who knows - maybe I gained muscle over the past few months, hence the weight gain.

We need to keep ourselves accountable - but still recognize that our eating issue is the reason why we are seeking this kind of help.  Drop the guilt and move on - always staying focused on the end price: health.

Easier said than done sometimes, though eh.

Most Active
Recent Topics