Optifast Frustration!!

hmtmomof4
on 10/19/13 6:51 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

So I am on day 3 of Optifast and it has been HELL.  I feel terrible, shaking and a massive headache for two days now.  I'm soooo hungry!!!

Why can we not eat ANYTHING while on Optifast?? I mean, I know about shrinking the fat around the liver etc. and I know that by drinking the Opti it throws your body into ketosis (fat burning mode).....but why are we not allowed foods that are low in fat, carbs and calories.  For example, why can I not eat a chicken breast (skinless of course). 

I've done atkins many times and I know what I need to eat to keep my body in ketosis.....and I have urine test strips at home to confirm that I am still in it. 

I guess I'm just curious why they allow NO FOOD at all....I have good will power and I WILL  stick it out for the next three weeks, but I'm just wondering what the harm is in taking a vitamin and having a BBQ'd chicken breast??..This would be LESS carbs, fat and calories than an optifast shake???

Please help me understand this?? I'm just soooo frustrated and STARVING!! :(

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

KerryF.
on 10/19/13 7:18 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I don't know this to be fact............. but I assumed it was because chicken or other dense heavy protein foods will take more to pass from the system and they need that stomach to be beyond empty before they staple it off and leave it blind for the rest of it's life.  For me at least, I shuddered at the thought of anything still in there when they went in and separated it from the pouch area.  Mind over matter  it worked for me. If your still starving, drink more water. the rest will just be head hunger. hang in there the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is just a few weeks away. 

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

kristaeb
on 10/19/13 7:21 am

Sorry you are having a hard time. I was through HRRH , and we were aloud to have some food. I have a lot respect for you guys through other clinics where they dont allow you anything. I dont know if i could have done it. Maybe some of the vets will have some answers you about this..Day 4 was the worst for me, and i always went to bed early. I was pretty cranky some of those days. Just think of the end result , it will be worth it..You can do this...Good luck...Krista..kiss

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Dani34
on 10/19/13 7:33 am - Canada
VSG on 10/21/13
I've been on opti fast since October 7th. The 3rd day was the worst. I was a raging ***** that week. I went to bed very early. Honestly, it gets easier. I'm done with Opti fast tomorrow.

You can have cucumbers, green peppers and salad. I have that to help with the hunger.

Hang in there.

~Danielle

GP Referral: Summer 2012 Orientation: December 17 th, 2012  Dietitian/Social worker and Nurse Clinician January 31, 2013  Post OP: September 19th 2013 Surgery: October 21st, Dr.Smith  (VGS) 

Leanne1
on 10/20/13 9:58 am - Newmarket, Canada

Only some centers allow that... NOT all of them... 

It's best advised to do what each center requires and follow the center guidelines... 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

zephie
on 10/19/13 7:43 am - Moose Factory, Canada

I'm on my last few days...surgery on Tues....I had celery, cucumber, lettuce, broccoli, green pepper...a bit of lemon juice.  Also low sodium chicken/beef broth...s/f jello...decaf teas ...I have chosen to stop all extra except Opti now (Sat) to make sure everything is empty on Tues..lol!! I chopped up the veggies and threw them in a pot with a carton of chicken broth...sure made things more manageable over the 3 wks. ...Hope you find it easier as you go along!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

LittleMiss2013
on 10/19/13 7:58 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Yep...it's hell  blush  The first 3 days are the worst....4 & 5 are easier but not by much. I found the first weekend difficult because I was home all day and wanted to eat. After that it is MUCH easier. I am having surgery Tuesday and only have a couple of days left. Just do what you can to suffer though the first week and you will be smooth sailing from there. Good luck

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/13 9:11 am
smallisland
on 10/19/13 9:29 am, edited 10/19/13 9:30 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hi, I am on day four of Opti.  The Opti makes me feel so sick that I am not hungry but on the other side of things I don't wan****er either.  I woke up day three with all of the same symptoms as you but don't throw up anymore.  The headache is still here day four but everything else is better.  The Opti trots are gone for now:) They told me the headache could be from dehydration so make sure you sip, sip, sip...they said this would be a good time to practice.  Through my clinic they say nothing but chicken broth but I asked the surgeon when I saw him if I could have SF Jello and he said it was ok.  The dietitions tell you otherwise though.  I am following the surgeon suggestions as the nurse told me he has the last word.

Hope your Opti journey gets better....I feel for you....it is very difficult. The dietition said it was worse for some than others.

Hoping you feel better soon, Sue  Message me if you'd like to chat.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Charlene Straus
on 10/19/13 10:04 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hang in there. I did 4 weeks of Opti. Day 3 was the worst, but it did get easier. What got me through was broth. I'm a soupaholic, so the broth filled the void. TWH patients were not allowed cucumbers, etc. Only Opti, broth, sf jello, sf drinks, water, black coffee and tea. It really is worth it. I'm 4 weeks, post op, and I'm down 48 lbs. I actually cleaned out my closet today. Jeans were falling off my hips. I have no regrets. 

Most Active
Recent Topics