Oh the joys of riding the bus

burg_vs
on 11/27/13 10:18 am

I recently took a greyhound bus and went up north for a visit. The last time I took a bus the arms of the chairs dug into my sides and it was not comfy at all since the bus was full and I had someone beside me...

this time, I was able to sit comfortably in the seat between the arm rests and the only parts of me leaning on them were my arms :). Just to bad the seats themselves were not comfortable lol

Cottagenanny
on 11/27/13 10:28 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Sorry the seats weren't more comfortable for you, but congrats on your terrific weight loss and being in the position of having less worry about being able to fit into them, not a great position to be in.

It's the little things that make a difference in our lives, thanks for the inspiration.  :)

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

new_me180
on 11/27/13 11:01 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Congrats for the achievement. I know it's something silly for "normal" people but, a huge thing for us as we avoid situations like these every day. I've avoided going to so many places because of my weight and embarrassed when I went out to eat and have to ask for a chair without arms. I too have managed to lose some weight and today I was able to sit comfortably in the auditorium at my nieces school that I wasn't able to sit in comfortably a few years ago.

Wish you all the best for the future.

burg_vs
on 11/27/13 7:17 pm

That's fantastic...way to go.  I am sure you will keep doing great

Mandalious
on 11/27/13 11:14 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Congrats!!  I can't wait for that the same NSV

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Onward and
Downward

on 11/27/13 7:59 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I have found this to be the best NSV without exception since surgery - fitting into seats again. Congratulations on your NSV! 

I think people who have never been morbidly obese have no idea how it affects our lives to not be able to sit comfortably in the seating in most places.  Even now, I occasionally have a moment of wondering whether I'll fit into the seats or booths when I go places like restaurants, etc.  For my son's holiday concert at his high school, they also have theatre seating in the auditorium, and last year it would have been a problem, since the seats are fixed and wooden with arms.  Last night I went to a meeting where they had folding chairs, and I always have a moment of apprehension when I go to sit down, wondering whether it will hold my weight. Then I remember, oh yeah, it's fine now.

But what's not fine is the fact that there is no accommodation made for larger people on buses, planes, restaurants, auditoriums, etc.  It's not right that seating is only made for people who are normal to overweight.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

4-Jane
on 11/27/13 9:05 pm - Canada

angry that is so true

Respectfully Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics