I don't think I'm eating enough

new_me180
on 11/30/13 2:10 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I called the dietician the other day complaining about the hunger i was feeling in between meals. Part of the problem is that I have an ulcer which gives me the sensation of a gnawing hunger but, after I ran through what I ate, she said I was under eating. I usually finish my egg for breakfast but, can't finish the grain and fruit. Most of the time I don't even eat them. I eat my snack, usually the laughing cow wedges, crackers. Lunch is leftovers which I rarely finish, another snack and dinner. I never finish dinner in one sitting and always have left overs. So, the dietician told me, whatever meal I don't finish, I have to add it to the next eating time. I'm barely making 400 cals a day and I'm starting to feel the effects of it being tired all the time and hurting hips. For sure I'm not getting the 60g protein. It seems like I'm always eating or drinking and I can't seem to fit it all in. Apparently eating just the protein and not the carbs and fruit or vegs is not the way to go either. Guelph wants me to eat all the protein, most of the veg, carbs and fruit to get a balanced diet at every meal. Maybe I'm babying my tummy too much and putting my plate away before I've had enough to eat. I'm 6 weeks out and so far I can tolerate pretty much everything except for chicken. Any advise on how to increase my input? Or shall I not fret and it will happen over time. Thanks.

Lorieliz
on 11/30/13 2:18 pm - Canada

Drink the protein. Two a day. You can eat as much as you can and still make sure you are getting what you need. I tried to eat enough protein and it just wasn't happening. I hate eating breakfast, so that is when I drink my "double protein" shakes, 240 calories and all the protein I minimum need for the day.

Sometimes I have a shake in the evening if I have a sweet craving, it works.

Hair has stopped falling out so much too.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

new_me180
on 11/30/13 2:36 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks for that. I asked the dietician when i went in last week and she said that they don't really like me drinking the protein shakes and would like for me to get my nutrition through regular food and to try a little harder at it, OMG!!! 1.5 oz and 1.0oz of protein for main and snack respectively should be ideal for at least 60g if all the protein is at least 10g each so, I can understand her stance on not having the protein shakes.  If I continue to have trouble getting it all in, I think I'll have to resort to the shakes.

Leanne1
on 11/30/13 11:51 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I get the premier protein shakes from costco. They are 30g of protein. I don't drink them every day but I always carry one in my lunch bag in case I feel like I need it. 

"I'm barely making 400 cals a day and I'm starting to feel the effects of it being tired all the time and hurting hips. For sure I'm not getting the 60g protein. It seems like I'm always eating or drinking and I can't seem to fit it all in. Apparently eating just the protein and not the carbs and fruit or vegs is not the way to go either. Guelph wants me to eat all the protein, most of the veg, carbs and fruit to get a balanced diet at every meal. Maybe I'm babying my tummy too much and putting my plate away before I've had enough to eat. I'm 6 weeks out and so far I can tolerate pretty much everything except for chicken. Any advise on how to increase my input? Or shall I not fret and it will happen over time. Thanks."

You definitely need to try to eat more at this stage. I know it's hard but you should try to aim for at least 600-700 calories by now. Your body needs that fuel to help in healing and so you don't feel so tired.

I am 3 yrs out and still my "eyes are bigger then my stomach" I never eat everything I put on my plate, unless I pick at it for quite a while. 

Didn't they give you a meal plan or a booklet either in your nutrition class or when you had your surgery? You should review it and try to follow it. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

smallisland
on 11/30/13 11:52 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

I am in week five and just started soft foods last week.  If it helps I can eat all that's in the diet plan and it still isn't working out to 60mg of protein a day. I am also at the Guelph clinic.  I don't have any problem with chicken either.  So don't feel badly...you are not alone.  I am also not getting enough water...I have no trouble drinking it but it is finding the time.  Hopefully both of us will get into a routine where both water and protein are not issues anymore.  Best wishes, Sue

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

new_me180
on 12/1/13 8:19 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Sue, best wishes to you too.

nmcgreen
on 12/1/13 9:13 am - Canada

I'm 4 months out and still drink 2 protein shakes a day. I like to have a breakfast and snack shake then try to "eat" lunch and dinner. The dietician said that was fine for me.

November 27th Referral sent. January Group orientation. April 10th Nurse . May 21st Nutrition and Behavior. May 24 Ultrasound. June 26th Group. July 16 Surgeon Surgery August 22

JacksHawk
on 12/1/13 11:46 am

I am 4 weeks out, and was experiencing the same thing. My doctor told me to go to two protein shakes a day when I can't seem to eat enough. I have good days and bad days, so when I have a bad day I drink another shake as a snack in the evening. That has really helped me. 

Good luck!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics