Hormonal.

Katie M.
on 12/3/13 2:20 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Between my face breaking out worse than it ever did when I was a teenager, depressive/angry PMS starting a full two weeks before my next period is due, my ability to smell grease and fat and anything too sweet from three miles away (I swear I can smell people who eat greasy food. It comes out of their pores and it makes me nauseous!) and just generally feeling like I want to take to my bed and never return to the real world again... Estrogen and I are not friends right now. I know this is all normal and par for the course but seriously, I could kill someone right now and I wouldn't even feel bad. Either that or I'm going to burst in to tears.

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

gwynnkitty
on 12/3/13 2:26 am - North York, Canada

My husband has eaten pizza like 6 damned times in the last almost 3 weeks, and I SWEAR pepperoni and OIL are coming out of his damned pores. TOTALLY understand this post.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Katie M.
on 12/3/13 2:36 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Lol, lucky he's not married to me, I would have clobbered him with that pizza! Between the pregnancy nose and the inclinations towards violence this pms brings on, I'm not sure I'm fit to be released in to the general public. Everyone smells and I want to strangle them all! But it's good to know I'm not alone, lol ;)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Jessica S.
on 12/3/13 3:25 am - Ottawa, Canada

First question, could you be pregnant?

I started breaking out like a mad woman after the first month, on my period and ovulation, it is crazy every month it gets a little better but I still look like a teenager. I am not getting the smell thing, well I did but only when I got pregnant, ended in early miscarriage but the smell of everything was grossing me out.

I am however periodically so moody, one minute I want to cry and next I am a space cadet and happy as pig in **** Apparently the more fat being released from your hormones the more symptoms you will get.

Katie M.
on 12/3/13 6:02 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Definitely not pregnant! It'd have to be an immaculate conception, lol.

I hope every month gets a little better for me, too. Fingers crossed. I've never experienced the smell thing before, have never been pregnant, but it seems similar and I'm sure is linked to hormones. Walking past Starbucks this afternoon I almost passed out from the overwhelming stench of coffee!

ALOA2013
on 12/3/13 5:00 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

hey katie

I am the exact opposite of you... pre surgery I could smell everything, everywhere and was like a bloodhound and I have suffered from horrible PMS since I was 15 and got my period... now I can't smell a thing!!!!!! Its like I have to practically put my nose right into the food to smell it or be right on top of the person and I am due to get my period next week and not a single PMS symptom.  Go figure.  This surgery amazes me with all the changes it brings. And just wanted to say congrats on your weight loss, you are doing great.

Take care, I am sure it will get better, keep your chin up.

Leslie

Height 5' 5" HW: 244  SW: 226  CW: 128    

Katie M.
on 12/3/13 6:05 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

How strange that all your symptoms have reversed! Sounds like it's a good thing! Well, except for not being able to smell your food, but maybe that's better than constantly being assaulted by every smell in the world? I've always had pretty terrible pms, but my symptoms were only mood - I'd get really depressed, anxious and angry and it would peak in three month cycles. By the third month it was almost unbearable. Now I also get cramps along with it - how nice ;)

Thanks so much for the congrats! These little hormonal blips seem major when I'm in them, but I know the rest of the month I am mostly fine (aside from my poor skin and my over active nose) so I just have to ride it out :)

Hope you are doing well!

Sunny123
on 12/3/13 8:44 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I hope these side effects leave you soon! I cannot imagine smelling my husband post op  I will know by this weekend LOL

I got the increased sense of smell when I was pregnant so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Maybe your hormones will level out soon!

Jo

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Katie M.
on 12/3/13 9:06 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks Jo! I went to see a naturopath yesterday who took one look at my "belly fat" and said I've got a few months left at least of these hormonal symptoms. Apparently estrogen likes to congregate in the belly which is where I carry a lot of my weight :\ Oh well, it's coming off so that's all I can do for now!

Fingers crossed you don't get the superhero sense of smell :p Mine started around day 4 or 5 after surgery I think!

PsAMom
on 12/3/13 9:06 pm

I understand the smell thing. A couple years ago I had to take a high-octane antibiotic that caused this symptom. I could guess what shampoo other people had used from 20 paces, if they ate grease or G-d forbid garlic or onions in the past 2 days, and could even smell the bile and contents of their stomach digesting when I spoke to them --- this awful stench would waft out of every single person's mouth with every word. I had never realized how very stinky people are -- I feel very sorry for dogs having to smell us ever since. The symptoms went away after I stopped the antibiotic, thank goodness, and yours will probably ease up too, just hang in there.

Until then, though, you might try putting a little drop of peppermint oil, lemongrass oil, or lavender oil under your nose. This helped me a lot. Yes, I was gagging with the smell of peppermint or whatever, but it was waaaaaayyyyy better than smelling other peoples' half-digested ham sandwich or whatever. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics