Job Interview - Pre Surgery

cdnmacgirl
on 1/1/14 10:40 pm - Canada

I'm going for a job interview and I've still got my post op food class and the 'Craving Change' classes still to do...and the meeting with the surgeon (if I get through) - how do I work this into the interview? The job will be 1/2 hour away from home the opposite direction of Guelph. I know I'll need to tell them I have to leave each Monday early for the Craving Change class for a month (maybe half an hour early...which shouldn't be a huge problem...) but how do I explain that I will need to go for appointments that I can't really control? (I don't have a problem telling them I'm going through the process, because if I get through and have it, it's going to be a noticible change. And I'm pretty open with everything.) Has anyone been in the same boat? I don't want them to not consider me because of any time I will need to take off.

Thanks

Andrea

Referral sent Feb 27, 2013 | Orientation in Guelph May 16, 2013 | First set of appointments August 19, 2013 | pre op food class August | Final sign off on Nut/SW/Nurse Jan 29 | Post Op class April 7, 2014 | Surgery with Dr Jules July 16, 2014 in Guelph

em_dep_qua
on 1/2/14 12:33 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

I am not sure... I guess it depends on the type of work you do and an understanding boss.  I really wanted to take the 'Craving Change' class but I work.

Michelle

Referral sent - Jan 11/13  Orientation - Apr 4/13  Nurse & Dietitian - Apr 8/13 (287 lbs)   Food Class - Apr 10/13  Social worker - Apr 29/13   Nurse, Dietitian & Social worker - Jun 3/13 (284 lbs)   Meet Surgeon - Oct 31/13 (277 lbs)   Post-op food class - Nov 4/13   PATTS - Nov 6/13 & Nov 15/13   Surgery - Nov 19/13 (264 lbs)

http://static7.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.hfae558bc2c41731b503ebe7a6047f0d8.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_lifetime_kilometers250.png  https://static0.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h30068d83181db189c8748b935814ece7.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_lifetime_kilometers750.png    http://static2.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h6dfcb257cfbfba6f178818461d9f9962.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_lifetime_kilometers1k.png  https://static0.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h47ce919ba710f3cfedaa1d34fa9522e8.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_daily_steps10k.png  http://static5.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h58e6c75703a655be91bb229e9a500540.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_daily_steps15k.png    https://static3.fitbit.com/simple.b-dis-png.h2e5f0b0a057c1141c8c09aa96f17b8c3.pack?items=%2Fimages%2Fdash%2Fbadge_daily_steps25k.png

NorthernStar
on 1/2/14 3:19 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I was in this exact same position. My referral went in and I had orientation in August. I had an interview that summer and started a new job at a new company in September. I deferred my appointments (HRRH was great about doing this) so I wouldn't have any appointments until January when I'd put in my three month probation. This slowed my journey down but had to be done. In January I approached my boss about getting time off for appointments and let her know I'd be having surgery.

In my case, I wasn't entitled to vacation days until my 3 month probation was up so I had no choice but to defer surgery. I also had to take entire days off to make the drive to HRRH, you may not have to do that so it may be easier for you to get part days off. I would not bring this up in the interview, you can defer your appointments.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Crystal82
on 1/2/14 6:52 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14
I did the same thing as Northern star and put in my time build a re pour with my employer showed her that she was lucky to have me and then took some vacation days and sick days for "doctors appts" when I had earned them. once I was almost through the process I told my boss about the surgery and I'm very lucky she and all the associates and staff are very supportive (surgery is only 4more sleeps away)! I actually got told I'll have a raise in place when I return from surgery (bonus)! Don't give a prospective employer to much information just do well in ur interview and knock their socks off. Do ur time and when it's right u tell them that this is something you have to do for the good of ur health. Good luck keep us posted!

Surgery January 6, 2014!

Moselle
on 1/3/14 11:55 pm - Athens, Canada

I totally agree with not addressing this in the interview process.  Every prospective employee could have some medical condition or situation that could require accommodation in the work place and disclosing this information is not a requirement of the interview process.

Only answer the questions asked and do so completely and to the best of your ability. Prove to them that you are the best person for this position. Once you land the job then you can have a discussion with your new boss regarding their expectations and if you have special needs or requirements like time off for doctor's appointments (they don't need to know what they are for) how you can handle the absences. I also agree that you don't want to take too much time off when you are new to a position, but depending on the type of work and the report you build with your new boss this may work out.

I wish you all the best and good luck in the interview.  Let us know how it goes.

Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

cdnmacgirl
on 1/4/14 4:11 am - Canada

Thanks for the input ladies! I think I am going to keep mum on this for the interview. I do gave an appt that I might reschedule - I haven't decided yet...I will let you know how it goes!

andrea

Referral sent Feb 27, 2013 | Orientation in Guelph May 16, 2013 | First set of appointments August 19, 2013 | pre op food class August | Final sign off on Nut/SW/Nurse Jan 29 | Post Op class April 7, 2014 | Surgery with Dr Jules July 16, 2014 in Guelph

birdiegirl
on 1/4/14 4:37 am

I would not mention anything at the interview stage....however, if they offer you the position - then i would certainly discuss your requirement to leave early every Monday for 4 weeks.  I would prefer a potential employee to be up front regarding a short term request for time off. - this could also assist you with your fellow employees who will notice that you are leaving early and are a new hire....

Most Active
Recent Topics