Know anyone who has been turned down for surgery?

Blueiiis
on 1/2/14 10:32 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I am going to my first couple of appointments in the next month or so.  I am worried that what if I go to all of these appointments and miss work just to be turned down in the end.  How many people go through the appointments and don't make it through? Am I worrying for nothing? I need some honest answers please. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/14 10:39 am

i was told that no one, who meets the required benchmarks for surgery, is ever *turned down*.  however, your surgery may be *postponed* for a variety of reasons.

Leanne1
on 1/2/14 11:00 am - Newmarket, Canada

I remember one girl was.. She doesn't come here anymore.. They turned her away cuz she kept bringing her child to all her appts. They told her she needed to have a sitter. She said she had lots of family support yet not one person would watch her child; that showed the centre that she had no support.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Blueiiis
on 1/2/14 11:30 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I am asking because I was discussing this with someone and they said they knew someone who attended all the appointments/tests and then did not get the surgery.  Now I worry that if I go through all of this with my heart set on having the surgery, that it could turn out that I won't be offered it?  I was hoping making through the orientation and having appointments booked was a good sign for having the surgery?  It took me forever to get the nerve up to going through with getting the referral, etc, I don't want to be disappointed.  

Leanne1
on 1/2/14 12:05 pm - Newmarket, Canada
Don't worry!! I think you will be good ;-)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Nanato2
on 1/2/14 7:59 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Once you are in the program they usually do not turn you down unless there is a real medical issue that would make any of the WLS impossible for them to do. however they can postpone  surgery if there is things they need you still to work on. examples quittting smoking, psych issue's, etc.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/3/14 3:35 am - Windsor, Canada

Because I run a support group and tell to so

many in ontario groups, I've encountered many who have been turned down for surgery.  

They include patients who:

were non compliant with making changes

didn't quit smoking

had blood clotting issues or other medical conditions that put them at high risk

lost weight and bmi fell under the criteria. Were urged to do optifast program

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics