Sleeve with Dr.Sohi or at HRRH?!?!

Sassy75
on 1/15/14 8:29 am - North York, Canada

Hey guys, 

I know there a few of you out there.......when you were discussing your sleeve did the surgeon try to discourage you from having it? 

Surgery date August 11, 2014 gastric sleeve with Dr. Rotstein at St.Mike's

starting weight 309 4 months out 237

Robyn R.
on 1/15/14 9:52 am - Bowmanville, Canada

yes when I discussed it with Dr Hagen he discouraged it.  Stated the stats were not there yet and OHIP only pays under certain cir****tances, none of which i have. 

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

LittleMiss2013
on 1/15/14 10:32 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

yes I had 2 separate bariatric surgeons independently tell me they did not like the VSG and that RNY was safer. When I asked why they said they see a lot of complications, leaks etc with the VSG. They were pretty adamant about it too, lol

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/14 10:42 am

interesting.  since my surgeons told me the complete opposite -- less leaks, less complications in general with a VSG.  

lol -- devil

Sassy75
on 1/17/14 9:22 am - North York, Canada

Littlemiss2013, 

which centre was this at?

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/14 9:26 am, edited 1/17/14 9:27 am

trying to get an answer in my own thread. Just had an appointment this morning. Was told that VSG is for those who already have malabsorbtion issues (why would you though.? ) or you might opt to pay for it yourself. He seems to be considering bypass only as a rule

Steps78
on 1/17/14 10:11 am

I had my surgery last Tuesday and had the VSG. I went into the appointment with lots of supporting evidence as to why I should have the sleeve over RNY. I had my surgery at TWH. Do your research as there are some medically supported reasons as to why a VSG would be better than RNY for some individuals, mainly a need for NSAIDs. 

It appears that the rules are not similar across the board which I find frustrating. My advice is to ask to see another surgeon at another hospital if need be. First of course make sure you are 100% sure which surgery you want because everyone, including doctors has an opinion. 

Good luck to you!

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/14 10:14 am

sorry, I am at a loss as to where you find that information.

Sassy75
on 1/17/14 10:52 am - North York, Canada

Hi so jaded, 

I have celiac disease so I do suffer from malabsorption and I have a higher chance if getting gastro cancers. That being said the bypass would not be suitable for me. I am at HRRH and my surgeon is Dr.Sohi. Although I have this huge issue he is still sending me for more tests and trying to push the bypass. He also told me that he has only done 5 sleeves with one leak. I am not comfortable with this and I am trying to find another surgeon. I have noticed from this site that TWH seems to have more sleeves done. I would like to consult with them. I have put in a call but need to call back again to clarify a few things. I was told I would have to start the process all over again. This is a little disappointing as I have gone thru everything at HRRH. 

Anyone here had the sleeve at TWH care to share their experience? Do they try to push the bypass as well?

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/14 11:00 am

sorry to hear it. I  am thinking of switching too and I guess I better move it. I just had my appointment today and have RD/RN/SW scheduled a month from now. So, no time to waste.

I also sent you a friend request, not sure if it went through

Most Active
Recent Topics