Migraines without NSAIDS

Hennagirliegirl
on 2/14/14 12:26 pm - Canada

Well, let me tell you, it wasn't fun! I occasionally get migraines and take buckets of advil, stay in my dark bedroom and ride out the storm.

I woke up today around 4 am with the beginnings of a migraine, went back to sleep for a bit, took a tylenol #3 around 10am which didn't touch it. I laid in bed till about 3 pm, couldn't settle, felt sick to my stomach,,,all the classic stuff.

I went to credit valley ER. They started their IV ****tail...maxeran, then hormones, then decadron. I had a reaction to the hormones, shortness of breath, pressure in chest, the whole nine yards!

The ER physician says it happens quite often, so she still gave me the decadron and some IV morphine. Apparently the decadron will help prevent a rebound migraine.

I'm beat, this was the first time I've ever had to go to ER for a migraine, but without NSAIDS as an option it makes it tougher to treat.

Off to be for this tired woman, keeping fingers and toes crossed that I don't end up with a rebound migraine.

Terri

Test

Leafchick17
on 2/14/14 8:03 pm
RNY on 04/14/14

I take Imitrex injections for my migraines.  I had it on my list of meds and no one has said anything to me that I can't take it post surgery.  Anyone know if this is ok?  I've read on other forums that its ok, but thought I should ask at the clinic so I know for sure.  If it is ok it is a great relief for anyone who suffers and gets very ill, no fun at all.

Orientation Hamilton: July 22, 2013 Ultrasound: December 18, 2013 Bloodwork/ECG: January 29, 2014 Nutritionist/Social Worker/RN: February 12, 2014 Gastroscopy: March 4, 2014 Internist: March 6, 2014 Surgeon: March 13, 2014 (cancelled by clinic) Echocardiogram: March 19, 2014 Rescheduled Surgeon: April 1, 2014 SURGERY: April 14/14

birdiegirl
on 2/14/14 8:40 pm

You likely already know this.....but it would have also helped immensely if you had taken the Tylenol when you first woke up and felt the beginning of the migraine.....

Arlio1207
on 2/14/14 9:57 pm - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I to suffer from migraines. I take tylenol ultra.....it does have caffeine in it however my surgeon approved it right from the get go.... it is way more gentle on the tummy than t3's. I know that not even morphine will touch a headache I have, but the tylenol ultra works. It wouldn't hurt to try.  Its weird, headaches react differently to meds than other pain sensors..I use an ice pack also, and catching right away is key. I used to take advil like candy...I find my body absorbs the tylenol quickly now. Best of luck I hope you feel better.

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

Hennagirliegirl
on 2/14/14 11:26 pm - Canada

Thanks gals, yep, shoulda taken the tylenol at 4 am! Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Tee hee

I will check into tylenol ultra, for me advil was a wonder drug! Alas - time to let that go.

I will also do some research into imitrix.

Funny, we had been out to dinner the night before and I even called the restaurant to see if they used MSG, I have in the past gotten a migraine from a meal that had MSG in it, but no, it wasn't that.

I do have a titch of a headache today but am not photophobic, so that's a good sign. And I am going to take a gram of tylenol right away.

Keep all of your cranial nerves crossed for me!

Terri

Test

Kathleen11
on 2/16/14 3:43 am - Burlington, Canada

Depending on the severity I take two x strength Tylenol and two gravol and go back to bed.  

If it's a bad one I take Relpax 40mg.  It goes away within a half hour and doesn't come back.  

I too miss my Advil and naproxen but I'm happy to report I've only had 4 migraines since my surgery over a year ago

debralight
on 2/16/14 10:56 am - Canada

I use tramacet, a prescription painkiller, and migranal, a prescription nasal spray. Both work well for my migraines. I miss NSAIDS and I can't take triptans (specific drugs for migraines). You might want to explore triptans (like imitrex but there are quite a number of different one) with your doc. I can't take the for reasons totally unrelated to WLS.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Most Active
Recent Topics