ok... I'm freaking out...

josh_h2
on 2/18/14 9:01 am

hey ya'll

I know I shouldn't freak out, but the dietician who did the orientation really freaked me out..  saying they have so much power, they can refuse someone for surgery if they don't follow what they say, or do a good enough job on the food logs etc...  Any of this true?  am i freaking out over nothing?

what types of questions do they ask?  (my app't is next Tuesday, along with the RN & the social worker)  and hopefully I can get a moved up date with the internist...

Thanks, all

Josh

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/18/14 9:25 am - Windsor, Canada

Yes it's true 

you need to be compliant.  If you don't make changes, the surgery won't work for you.   This is damn hard past the first year or two.  Listen as learn.  Be open.  Take it as a learning experience.  They aren't out to get you ... But they also don't want to give surgery to someone who isn't going to use it well.  

Good luck, chin up. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Katie M.
on 2/18/14 10:22 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Agreed! They want to help you, they want you to succeed. Preparation before surgery is so important, and they need to be sure you are mentally, emotionally and physically ready. Don't go in trying to tell them what you think they want to hear, just be open and honest and let them help you. They'll ask you about your diet now, what you know about the surgery, what you think your issues are with food or why you are overweight, what kind of support system you have, is your family on board etc. They aren't hard questions and they aren't testing you, so try not to worry too much. Good luck!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

shoshanaApr2013
on 2/18/14 7:31 pm
They want to know that you were paying attention in the Orientation and are starting to implement the lifestyle changes that will be required to make the surgery successful.

Review all the info you were given, especially how to read nutritional labels and the fat and sugar ranges you'll need to work within.

Make a list of the ha*****anges you're going to start making, such as replacing large plates with small ones, portioning out food that comes in large bags/boxes into portion-sized baggies once you get them home from the grocery store, eating at a table instead of in front of the tv (mindful eating), putting your fork/spoon down between bites, chewing extra thoroughly, stop using straws, identifying ways to deal with food triggers (stress, family expectations/environment, social eating) etc. You don't have to implement everything at once, but let them know that you're working on a realistic plan to change your habits.

Start the appointment in the driver's seat... "It's nice to meet you. I've learned a lot since I started this process and can't wait to get your feedback on my plan to be as successful as possible."

Most of all, mean what you say. Learn. Start making the changes. Commit whole heartedly to this process. Give yourself every tool, resource and the resolve to make this surgery a success for you.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

josh_h2
on 2/25/14 7:23 am

Thanks all - I met with everyone today (thankfully it was a different dietician than the one who did the orientation) - passed all their reviews, and am just waiting for the internist appointment.  :)

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

Lolabug
on 2/25/14 11:14 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

Yay!