Missed appointments in Ottawa

CCs_mum
on 2/19/14 12:08 am

My follow-up appointments in Ottawa have been a joke... The nut/beh appointments are so short they are useless and the 2 min. with the NP are not much better.

My GP does the same blood work and I've always been spot on with the results.

I did miss my 1 year follow-up, and the OWMC never rescheduled... Should I even bother to make another appointment.  Who keeps going back to your clinic after the first year?

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

LilyBugsMommy
on 2/19/14 1:37 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I have seen people post on here that the clinics need the info gathered during these visits for their stats so that they can continue to get funding for future patients/surgeries.

I am through Ottawa and haven't minded the appointments. Yes, sometimes they are pretty quick and it doesn't seem like it is worth it, but, when you signed up for this process you did agree to complete all of these appointments. There is a reason for them.

I have to drive 2 hours to get to Ottawa, but, I just look at it as a day away from my regular routine...maybe do some shopping or sight-seeing, etc.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Anastasia_Marie
on 2/21/14 1:03 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

LilyBugsMommy - why don't you have your file sent back to Kingston so that you don't have to go all the way to Ottawa for follow up appointments. I haven't been back to Toronto since I was released from the hospital. 

cutekatie
on 2/19/14 5:43 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I have all my blood work done at the OWMC and then send a copy to my GP so I don't have to get them twice. I'd be making sure that it is all the same tests (types of iron, vitamin D, etc.)

I plan to go back every year for no other reason then just to check in and make sure everything is o.k. I believe you have to go back every year for the first five years so I'm sure you'll be getting a call soon to ask to reschedule.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Hennagirliegirl
on 2/19/14 6:11 am - Canada

I think it is very important for people to attend all follow ups! Can you imagine if something were off, and not treated.....the long term damage that could do to you would not be worth it.

Also, it has taken soooo long for the Ontario Government to implement this bariatric program. We all have to be thankful we have been fortunate enough to have accessed this service. Stats will be compiled and weigh heavy on future funding for others just like us, that also deserve that chance.

If the stats prove non- compliance that will also be taken into consideration for funding.

I'm not saying your concern isn't valid, but I think perhaps you could address your concerns with your specific centre and or the registry itself.

Without the input of the "users" they won't know, or will know but just continue because they can.

Just my two cents.

Terri

Test

birdiegirl
on 2/21/14 1:44 am

I will be attending my 5 year appointment this spring....I have not missed one....and purely for selfish reasons.....

1.  sometimes something new is given to me......that the centres have found after 5 years of doing this surgery....so I like to keep updated on my vits etc to ensure I am doing everything right

2.  I like the check and balance of speaking to nurse and dietitian who speak my language ( bariatric)

3.  If I ever am in trouble that is, or could be caused, by my surgery.....I want them to know who I am......and be interested in me....and have my records of follow up and blood work

Granted - I am only a 30 minute drive to Hamilton......and yes its a pain and expensive to park.....and sometimes my meetings are very short....5 minutes in total.....however I have usually picked up one tidbit every time I attend......

But I understand each to his own.....I might think differently if I lived 3-4 hours away......and couldn't have a video conference with them

IngridH
on 2/21/14 7:15 am - Canada

I'm surprised that your appointments are so short. I just had one with the behaviorist this morning and it took a good 50 minutes. My appointments with the NP are always over 1/2 hour too. I think I've only had one with the dietician post surgery and frankly I find those pretty much useless, but I'm happy enough for the others. About the behaviorist...I see Candace. I went once to Matt before surgery and felt like I was talking to a hyperactive teenager, so asked to see someone else afterwards.

Ottawa34
on 2/24/14 10:32 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I'm scheduled for my 3yr follow up in March.  I'm finding the further out from surgery I am the less interested they seem in wanting to offer help if I'm having issues.  I've been having pain and discomfort in my abdo/pouch area since surgery and now they just refer me to my GP, who is not really RNY knowlegdeable.  

When I would call to schedule my follow ups they would ask me to stop by and get a req for blood and tell me what I needed to bring.  This time the person the phone said she had no clue and if they needed something they'd let me know at my appt.  

I'll still keep my 4-5 th yr appts but I'm also starting to wonder what the point is.  I feel like now I'm not really that important of a patient to be bothered to take time and see me.  

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active
Recent Topics