Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but....

SuzieQ11
on 4/8/14 9:51 pm - Whitby, Canada

First let me advise pre-ops and newly post op that I seem to be an oddity - not the norm, so don't let my situation discourage you.

I had RNY surgery January 15th, and at about 4 weeks I realized that something was not as it should be. I can now eat anything I want, in any amount, and feel like I've not had surgery at all. Went back to see my surgeon, and was very discouraged - he just told me that they do it the same for everyone, and that it works 85% of the time. So, essentially, I am in the 15% that the surgery doesn't help. How's that for a slap in the face? Not only have I permanently re-arranged my insides, I have to live on supplements for the rest of my life, and won't have the desired results.

This sucks.

I know I have to come to terms with it and use diet and exercise like a normal person to make this work - perhaps use the tool in a different way. I have an appointment with the Dietician, so I can only hope that she can help me develop a new strategy to make this work.

Has anyone else had this happen?  

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

birdiegirl
on 4/8/14 10:01 pm

If you are following the program to a tee.....then something is really wrong here.....

Did your surgeon scope you?.......

I would make another appointment and not accept this answer....I have never heard of 15% of the people etc etc....especially this early out......

The malabsorption alone will make you lose.....plus the surgery gets your metabolism in gear....( don't ask me how....but it was explained to me that this happens also with the bypass)...plus a supposed pouch the size of a golf ball......

If you are truly eating protein forward.....small amounts of veg....all of your water.....etc.....then the rest should take care of itself.....

( why do you know you can eat anything you want in any amount?.......how did you know this at 4 weeks out?)

SuzieQ11
on 4/8/14 10:25 pm - Whitby, Canada

I was hoping for a scope, but he said it was not necessary.

I knew that I could eat more early on when I followed the rules, felt no satiety, and ate more to fill myself. I would eat a my protein (usually fish), a half cup edamame and still feel hungry, so fill up with salad - then the portions of fish or chicken would get bigger. I kept getting discouraged and would test the waters, so I could describe to my surgeon what was going on - eating different things that should not go down well, pasta, rice, bread etc. and could consume them with no problem. That scared me.

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

Hanneli xoxo
on 4/8/14 11:08 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

but... You will NOT have any full feelings or hunger feelings this early out.. I do not get how it cannot work.. never heard that before either! Which is why it is important to always measure your food.

danslillady
on 4/8/14 11:28 pm

I didn't start feeling a "fullness" until very recently at 4 months out.  I never felt full and I sometimes felt hungry.  Now I sometimes feel hungry and I feel full after I eat.

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

dragonlove
on 4/9/14 9:28 am
RNY on 11/20/13

The hunger and fullness sensations go away with almost everyone.  I haven't felt "full" or "satiety" since my surgery.  I get a slightly pressurized feeling under my breastbone where my pouch is.  My body also frequently sends me hiccups to signal I'm full.  If I eat too much then I start feeling sluggish then ill.  At 3 months, there is no reason for you to have trouble with any food at all - I can eat all the things you listed and have been able to for months.  

I suggest that you quit trying to feel satiety. You probably won't for a while.  How much volume are you supposed to be eating?  I'm at 4 1/2 months out and my meals are supposed to be 1/2 cup - that is TOTAL, not per item!  I know I can eat more - closer to a full cup - because I've goofed sometimes and not paid attention while eating and suddenly realized too much food was gone from my plate. (Now I portion out better!)

I also have never heard of it "not working for 15%"! I mean gee - even if a bizzare thing happened and you didn't lose weight, for goodness sakes they made your pouch about the size of an egg.... you simply cannot eat as much unless you drink with your meals or you have a rupture. I've never heard of any other way.

Did they give you full rules such as not drinking with or after your meals?  Have you been following the plan?  My husband had surgery and he totally cheats by drinking with his meals and he can eat WAY too much.

I hope you figure this out!  Good luck!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

dragonlove
on 4/9/14 9:29 am
RNY on 11/20/13

By the way... above when I say that I *can* eat this stuff - I do not mean that I always do!  Getting the protein in only leaves room in my 1/2 cup for a few bites of other stuff. :)

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

19star71
on 4/8/14 10:29 pm

She's 3 months out, not 4 weeks.

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Leanne1
on 4/8/14 11:18 pm - Newmarket, Canada

She's 3months out now BUT had posted "I had RNY surgery January 15th, and at about 4 weeks I realized that something was not as it should be. I can now eat anything I want, in any amount, and feel like I've not had surgery at all. Went back to see my surgeon, and was very discouraged - he just told me that they do it the same for everyone, and that it works 85% of the time. So, essentially, I am in the 15% that the surgery doesn't help. How's that for a slap in the face? Not only have I permanently re-arranged my insides, I have to live on supplements for the rest of my life, and won't have the desired results."

Those are her OWN words

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

19star71
on 4/8/14 11:25 pm

Ya. In her OWN words she says "I can now eat anything I want, in any amount, and feel like I've not had surgery at all."

She said felt something was wrong at 4 weeks. Nowhere did she say she was eating everything at 4 weeks, just that she was having issues since then.

I merely pointed out that she is farther along and is at the stage where she can be eating.

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Most Active
Recent Topics