Losing weight/not sleeping

Katie M.
on 4/29/14 8:00 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

So I'm 6.5 months post-op and it was a super slow winter in terms of weight loss for me, a pound here, a pound there. Still losing, but not like it was at the start. Which was to be expected. Anyway, I've recently stepped up my exercise to an hour of walking every morning and that has started to burn the fat again - but now I can't sleep for the life of me. Last night I finally broke down and took a sleeping pill because I need to get more than a few broken hours if I want to function at work, but I still woke up twice and here I am at six am wide awake. Does anyone else notice a correlation between pounds dropping fast and lack of sleep? I feel exhausted, but I just can't sleep!!

But on the flip side I am so close to being under 300 lbs for the first time in at least 7 years! Maybe even longer than that! WOO HOO!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Monica M.
on 4/29/14 10:00 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i have not noticed a correlation between the two. Usually increased exercise will make sleep better. What else is going on? Are you anxious? depressed? worried about things? what's your caffeine intake like? 

Google  "sleep hygeine" tips, and take them to heart. No caffeine after a certain time. No daytime naps. Make your bed just for sex and sleeping. (no doing any work in bed). Try some relaxation or meditation before bedtime. and take sleeping pills if you have to, but don't overdo it. Have you tried melatonin?

Katie M.
on 4/30/14 9:29 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I thought exercise would help things as well, and I don't exercise close to bedtime - but nope, still waking up and not falling back asleep. It could be stress, I have felt like my stress levels have gotten much better lately but maybe my brain is still processing, and my body is reacting. 

I don't drink any tea or coffee, all I ever drink is water these days so my caffeine should be good. I steer clear of sugar of course, no junk foods so I can't imagine it's that. I do have the computer in my bedroom (not facing the bed) so maybe just having it there is contributing as well, even though the screen is off and I don't do any work on it, just Internet and emails etc. 

I'll see what I can do to improve my sleep hygiene and take it from there! I have tried melatonin a few times but it didn't seem to make the slightest difference. Even a Sleep-Eze didn't work!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Kimmiekat
on 4/30/14 5:53 am

I've been having a problem falling asleep for the last week. I'm only just over 2 weeks out but I find lately I have trouble falling asleep.  It's like I can't shut off my brain. I'm physically tired, but I'm finding myself taking longer, and longer to doze off.  Hopefully this doesn't last and my sleep patterns back to normal once I go back to work! 

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

Katie M.
on 4/30/14 9:25 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I had the same thing in the first month after surgery as well - I think it's just your body/metabolism readjusting! And maybe hormonal, too, since you're burning lots of fat right now and all those stored toxins and hormones are being flooded in to your system. I kind of had to just push through it then, too, luckily I didn't have to be working. Try setting up a good bed time routine, dark room, same time to bed every night etc and see if that helps! I'm sure it will change back to normal again before you have to be working!

Most Active
Recent Topics