Hair loss for sleevers!!

Sassy75
on 8/2/14 7:14 am - North York, Canada

Hi there everyone, I have been reading quite a bit about hair loss after the surgery and it is commonly reported that hair loss is due to rapid weight loss (in part) so I am curious to know if the sleevers have as much hair loss as the bypass people as the weight generally comes off slower for the sleeve...... Any thoughts?

PaulaToronto
on 8/3/14 8:23 am - Toronto, Canada

Yes, I lost a lot of hair.  I don't think it matters which surgery you have.  It is a combination of the anesthetic, and quick weight loss and general shock to the body.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Jiliana2
on 8/5/14 2:46 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm told that regardless of the surgery type, most people will lose hair.

I had the sleeve and just before my 3rd month, I started losing hair. I'm just at the six-month mark and the hair loss has slowed considerably. I was lucky because I have very thick, coarse hair to start with, but seeing handsful of it go down the drain was tough! I got it cut much shorter than usual, and my stylist says she sees lots of new growth coming in but it will take a few months.

Just my experiences of course. Others may have different things to say.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Steps78
on 8/5/14 7:45 pm

I thought I escaped it but it started just after my 4th month. I've just passed my 6th and upped my protein and think it's slowed down a bit. It sucks but don't think we can escape it. If you are pre surgery I'd recommend taking 10,000 of biotin a day. I started that almost a year prior to my surgery and it thickened up my hair and was in great condition. Good luck!

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Most Active
Recent Topics