3 days post op. Can't sleep worth a crap

josh_h2
on 9/18/14 8:12 pm

Mornin ya'll!

3 days post op and since the surgery I haven't been able to sleep worth a crap!  Go to bed at 9ish (normal time) as I feel exhausted and 11pm I wake up wide awake and can't get back to sleep..  A couple hours later I'm as to doze for an hour or so

is this normal?  Or do I need to go get a sleeping pill?

Josh

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

Nanato2
on 9/18/14 8:44 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Yes it is completely normal. I was like that for weeks sleeping off and on I got hooked on Duck Dynasty as that is what was on a 3am haha.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/14 10:52 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I was the same and 5 months post op it has gotten better.   I was told I can take Tylenol each night to help relax, however I found pushing my sleep time to 10 pm (I get up at 6am) has helped.  I now sleep better but still wake up at around 3-4 pm and lay awake for a bit then fall back to sleep again.

Try sleeping at a later time and you may sleep better.

Kelly

Catw
on 9/18/14 11:06 pm - Arnprior, Canada

It's normal, I was like this for a while.  Not much sleep at night, go through the day and couldn't nap.  I don't nap unless I'm sick or exhausted.  Watched a lot of TV though, resting on the couch in the middle of the night.  It will get better.  Unless you have to get up for something, then don't worry about taking anything yet.

Cathy

Swampy1976
on 9/18/14 11:09 pm - Marmora, Canada

You sound normal to me! Try and stay away from any medications. I had issues for the first 4-5 weeks but now at 9 weeks I'm pretty much back to my normal most nights. Good luck with your journey. 

Poppios
on 9/19/14 12:56 am
I was the same for a few weeks after surgery, so I did what many suggested and moved my bedtime back a few hours. I'm just 4 months out and I'm only sleeping about 6.5-7 hours a night cause I want to get up and exercise. Go figure.

NorthernStar
on 9/19/14 2:21 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

It's normal. I think it may be from coming off the anaesthetic. Just rest and relax, don't stress about it and let sleep happen naturally. You will even out in a few days.

I watched a lot of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives during that time. The food never bothered me. I don't know why I enjoyed watching it so much. If you're ever wondering who watches that show, it's sleep-deprived doped-up surgery patients!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active
Recent Topics