Vitamins To Take While Pregnant

manders123
on 3/9/15 3:59 am

Hi Everyone! I just found out on the weekend that I'm pregnant. I had gastric bypass surgery 15 months ago. My appointment at the Ottawa clinic is only on March 23rd. Wondering what vitamins I should take while I'm waiting for my appointment. I asked the receptionist if she had any idea and unfortunately she couldn't help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Hanneli xoxo
on 3/9/15 4:06 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

Can't answer but wanted to offer my congrats! Also, I am happy to hear the receptionist didn't give you medical advise!

Jiliana2
on 3/9/15 9:44 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Early in the pregnancy, folic acid is crucial. Essentially, I took prenatal vitamins (some bariatric patients take these as their regular vitamins anyway) and extra folic acid.

I don't know that there is any problem with taking either of these during pregnancy for post-op bariatric patients... does anyone else know differently?

So if it were me, until March 23, I would take those two things. Or, basically switch out my 'regular' multivitamins (2 per day) for prenatal vitamins (again, still 2 per day), and I would add folic acid to the vitamins that I take daily. And on March 23, check with the doctor.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

manders123
on 3/10/15 1:02 am

Thank you for the well wishes! I will definitely switch out my regular vitamins for the prenatal ones. 

It's my first pregnancy so just trying to make sure everything goes alright.

Thanks again!! :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics