Troubles with meat

Dreamy74
on 4/7/15 11:08 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi all. I am 8 weeks post op. I have been having trouble with all meats. I was fine during the pureed stage but now solid meat bugs me and 9/10 times I end up throwing up.  Does it get better? I am chewing small bites really slowly and putting my fork down between bites. What do you think? All advice welcome. 

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

lammytee14
on 4/7/15 11:16 am

I don't have any advice but I can sympathize. I'm just about done my first week of soft foods (I'm 3 weeks post-op) and it had not gone well with meat for me either...unless it's really moist in a sauce. I'm not sure if I'm eating to quickly or what (20 minutes usually to eat 2 ounces)...definitely chewing well judging by what comes back up.

I hope things get better for you.

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 11:23 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Try putting sauces on your proteins, such as gravy for now, to moisten it. Also dark meat is more moist than the breast, so easier to tolerate. Although i have never thrown up, I still have a tough time with some chicken, and I am five months out. 

Pc Blue has a very lean angus meatball, sold in the frozen section of the grocery. It saved me at about your time post op. It was easy to tolerate with some marinara over top, sprinkled with fresh parmesan, and tasted delish. 

lammytee14
on 4/7/15 11:29 am

I remember your post about the meatballs so I made a batch of them before my surgery (lean ground beef, parmesan, oregano and basil). So far, that is the only meat that I haven't had an issue with...I'm glad you had mentioned it. Thanks!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 11:36 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

:) Same with me early out. Meatballs were my go to at that time.  I am glad they work for you too!

Nickaroo
on 4/7/15 11:50 am - Windsor, Canada

Hey there,

I may not be much help here, I'm still in the Pre-Op stages, but going through the Nutrition class about 3 weeks ago, they advised us to not have any meat (Beef, Lamb, Pork, or any Game until 6 months post op due to the fibrous texture. They said your new stomach wouldn't be able to handle it.

Hope this helps...

Nick

Referral Date: November 5th, 2014, Orientation Date: January 8th @ Windsor Assessment Centre, Nurse Apt: March 6th, Social Worker Apt: March 10, Nutrition Class: March 17th, Doctor Apt: April 23, Dietician Apt: May 6th, Social Worker Follow Up May 6th,  Doctor Follow Up Apt: June 4, Surgical Class Apt: June 25h, Surgeon Apt: TBA, Surgery: TBA

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/15 12:11 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hi Nick,

You will notice every centre has different post op plans. I went through TWH, one of the first things my centre recommended was beef chilli, which is so easy for most tummies to handle. 

Seyenna
on 4/7/15 9:10 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

For me, chili was a godsend. It was the only thing I could handle.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

cspotrun
on 4/7/15 12:32 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

deli meats were easiest for me at first.

Karen   

Seyenna
on 4/7/15 9:13 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I definitely struggled with meats, especially if they were too dry. Try making some chili, or meatballs like was recommended. Personally I would buy these bags of chicken breasts from No frills, they were 10 dollars a bag... the cheap kind that's plumped up with water you know? I found those to be VERY easy to eat with a little bit of alfredo sauce on top. Best of luck!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Most Active
Recent Topics