Happy update on my sleep study but still a question

Drvn2skcede
on 5/8/15 8:43 am

I had an appointment with my GP this week and asked her for a copy of my study results.  They weren't as bad as I understood them to be at my last appointment.  I understood that I had mild apnea and that I would be called back in to discuss getting a CPAP machine.  When I called the sleep clinic about how long this was going to take, they told me I wouldn't get called back in for at least 6 months to a year because I was considered low priority.  And at that point, I'd still have to wait longer to go through the process of getting the machine and second sleep study and second consultation etc.  I was really worried about how much this would delay my WLS process and frustrated because the apnea was only mild and would likely go away after the surgery (I never snored or had sleep issues until I gained this last 30 lbs).  So I was quite upset with this outcome.

Now that I've seen (and gotten a copy of) the actually sleep study report, I'm a little more hopeful.  Hopefully the WLC will consider the results fine and they won't make me get a CPAP afterall.  My sleep 'architecture' (sleep cycles etc) was perfectly normal and well within normal limits. As for 'sleep disordered breathing', the very first line states "There is no significant sleep disordered breathing observed" and then it goes on to talk about the apnea hypopneas index being 'very mildly' elevated at 9.5 per hour, where the upper limit of normal is 5 per hour.  Oxygen saturations were well maintained as well. So since it is so mild and likely to go away after surgery, I'm hoping the WLC doctors will not force me to get a CPAP.... The report said that 'at most' I have 'very mild sleep-disordered breathing'.

What do you all think? Do you think they'll make me go through the process of getting the CPAP based on this?

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

TES
on 5/8/15 9:42 am - Ottawa, Canada

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea at my sleep study.  When I went back to do the test again with a CPAP, I found I couldn't wear any type of mask that they have (not the nose one, or the full face ones).  I'm a mouth-breather, so the nose one was out and I had panic attacks with the full face one.  The sleep study doctor told me I'd have to "suck it up and deal with it" and get a CPAP and wear a mask or else I wouldn't get the surgery.

I figured that was the end of the line for me.  I tried for a month to use a CPAP/mask and just couldn't do it.  I just gave up on the whole process at that point.  While talking about it with my family doctor he urged me not to give up and had his nurse call the WLC.  Within 2 weeks I had an appointment with the anesthesiologist who checked me over, looked at the info from the sleep clinic and told me I could go ahead with the surgery and not to worry about getting the machine.   I was so relieved I almost cried on the poor fella

(Just to demonstrate how I hate the masks ... apparently when I was in recovery coming out of anesthesia the first thing I did was pull the oxygen mask off my face.  Apparently I did it 4 times before they gave up and put the little nose prongs on me.  The nurse got the biggest kick out of that:  "You weren't joking about not being able to deal with a face mask!").

So hopefully your doctors will feel the same way and you won't have to worry about it - especially since your sleep apnea is minimal!  Good luck!

TES

jennyboo202
on 5/8/15 10:58 am - Canada
RNY on 08/14/15

Hi there!  I had a very similar diagnosis.  I stop breathing 7 times per hour, with slightly more during REM sleep.  I'm going through TWH and they would not put me through without a CPAP, I'm not sure about your clinic, but I was basically told sleep apnea is sleep apnea and you have to have a CPAP to use during surgery. 

I know you want to speed the process along as much as you can, and so did I, but it's better to have it and be safe.  Any form of sedation will exacerbate sleep apnea.

Also, I don't want to continue to be the bearer of bad news, but getting the CPAP is only the next step.  From there, you will need to have a compliance report prepared for your internist or nurse practitioner (whoever is handling this at your clinic).  For this, you will need to be using your machine for at least 4 consecutive hours per night for a month.  Then you bring the machine (or memory card) to the store where you purchased the machine and they will populate the report.  The sleep doctor and clinic both need a copy of this report before they will put you through to the next step.

Best of luck in your journey.  I know the delays feel like unnecessary hassle, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your life living healthy and happy. 

Best of luck.  :)

Ref. Apr 30/14, Orientation HRRH Aug 25/14, Transfer to TWH Oct 21/14, Sleep Study Nov 20/14, SW Nov 28/14, Nut. Class Dec 8/14, NP Dec 15/14, Psych. Jan 13/15, Nut. Jan 15/15, CPAP Titra Jan 16/15, NP F/U Jan 19/15, NP F/U2 Feb 24/15, NP F/U3 Mar 24/15, Surgeon May 29/15, Opti July 25/15, Pre-Op July 30/15, Surgery Aug 14/15

jaxie77
on 5/8/15 11:41 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey there , 

Honestly ...judging by the responses here so far  , I really do think it all depends on your surgeon. I agree with Jenny that yes you should not risk anything with this surgery and if you need to wait , then you need to wait ! But ....if they deem you to not be at such a risk ( and going by what they have reported so far for you , you're not ) they may put you through. I went for my sleep study about 5 months prior to my surgery, they diagnosed me with moderate sleep apnea . When I went to see Dr Glazer , the internist at Humber , I was waiting on my sleep study . All he said was , If it was found that I did have it, I was just to bring my machine with me on surgery day ! That was it ! No follow up or compliance report . It was not really discussed in length at my pre op appointment , again was just told to bring my machine . 

All you can do is wait and see what they say at this point . But in my opinion , I think you'll be fine . When is your next appointment with your surgeon ? If surgery is imminent then definitely try and get a cancellation or discuss your worries with the doctor . However ,you could be done with the whole process of getting your machine before your actual surgery date depending on where you are in the process .

Don't worry too much , it is great news that your apnea is not bad . It sounds like it could go away with some weight lost :) 

Good luck with everything xx 

Jax x

Delicious_Delilah
on 5/8/15 7:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I was diagnosed with very mild sleep apnea. No machine required. No follow-up. 

Good luck!

DD

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 4:32 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I think that the requirements are all very different. 

I am through TWH and I have moderate sleep apnea. I met with the nurse on April 15 and was told that I needed to do the follow-up with the sleep doctor to find out if I need the CPAP machine or not. If I needed the machine (which I did), I needed to provide her a copy of the follow-up sleep study. She didn't mention any type of compliance report or reading reports for 1 month. 

Tomorrow ow is my telephone follow up with her. I do have my cpap machine and have my follow up sleep study on Friday night. I am hoping that this is enough for her to at least schedule my surgeon appt. 

jennyboo202
on 5/12/15 8:39 am - Canada
RNY on 08/14/15

Who was your nurse practitioner?  I had Karyn.  Eventually she told me not to worry about the compliance report, because we had such a difficult time getting my cpap titration report from the sleep clinic.  Originally, though, I would have needed it.  

Ref. Apr 30/14, Orientation HRRH Aug 25/14, Transfer to TWH Oct 21/14, Sleep Study Nov 20/14, SW Nov 28/14, Nut. Class Dec 8/14, NP Dec 15/14, Psych. Jan 13/15, Nut. Jan 15/15, CPAP Titra Jan 16/15, NP F/U Jan 19/15, NP F/U2 Feb 24/15, NP F/U3 Mar 24/15, Surgeon May 29/15, Opti July 25/15, Pre-Op July 30/15, Surgery Aug 14/15

Drvn2skcede
on 5/11/15 5:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies.  It sounds like it really depends on the center.  Well here's hoping that things work out for the best!

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Most Active
Recent Topics