Birth Control - Ideas to Discuss with my Doctor

Dreamy74
on 6/24/15 8:11 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello all.  I am wondering what birth control do you use?  I am 4.5 months out from RNY and was told the pill isn't effective so not to trust it.  What other forms of birth control do you know about that I could discuss with my doctor?  I can't have an IUD as I only have 1 ovary left from cyst surgery in April 2013.  Does anyone use the patch?  Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

adaptation
on 6/24/15 11:28 am - Canada
RNY on 10/23/15

I currently use an IUD but I have used the patch.  It worked fine, and I liked that I only had to change it once a week, but it was constantly trying to peel off on my underwear when I wore it on my hip, and when it was on my shoulder, it was super noticeable.  I only used it for a few months before I switched to an IUD.

You could try the implant, or maybe the Depo shot.  I've heard great things about it.  

Dreamy74
on 6/24/15 11:38 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi adaptation!

Thanks for your reply! Did you find you had any emotional changes while on the patch?  When I was on the pill I got depressed/emotional and wonder whether the patch would do the same thing?

adaptation
on 6/24/15 11:39 am - Canada
RNY on 10/23/15

I didn't that I noticed, but I'm suffer with clinical depression anyway, so the entire time I was on the patch I was also on anti-depressants.

NorthernStar
on 6/24/15 12:48 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Look into the Ring! It has been the best and my GP says it is her favourite form of BC to recommend. Same hormones as the pill (similar cost) but more effective because it is so easy to use it perfectly. Only think about it once every 3 weeks. Does not have the same absorption issues as the patch (i.e. from falling off).

Oddly enough, almost everyone I know who had an unexpected pregnancy while on BC was on the patch. That's purely anecdotal but freaks me out. For anyone newly pre-op, you MUST use a secondary form of BC (i.e. condoms).

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

avivaps
on 6/24/15 3:13 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

I used the patch without any problems.  I'm not sure why one ovary precludes you from being able to use an IUD.  It is a good method of birth control.  Double check with your doc as to why they say you can't use it as an option.  Injectable hormone may be an option too.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Andie74
on 6/24/15 8:58 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

I use depo (injection) and you only have to get it every three months, and you also don't get a period!  That's a nice side effect.... 

Dreamy74
on 6/25/15 7:40 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Andie how often do you have to go for the injections and is there any side effects?

NorthernStar
on 6/26/15 4:44 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Depo shots are given every 3 months. Do read up on the side effects as it carries the highest number of potential problems when compared to other forms of BC (including weight gain). Many people here have used the shot without issue. 

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

anewbodforme2015
on 6/25/15 7:13 pm - Canada

Following... I can't take BC or IUD or shots... I am trying to find what my second form of BC besides condom. I have to discuss it with my hematologist.

Most Active
Recent Topics