autoimmune disease and surgery

betterme2014
on 9/8/15 9:00 pm, edited 9/9/15 6:04 am - Canada

hi I am pre-op but have a date booked to see the surgeon this month.

during the last several months some of my bloodwork has come back and my doc has concerns. She is referring me to a rheumatologist. I asked if she suspects that I have an autoimmune disease. She says she's not sure but something is up. She ordered more blood work and I find out this week about those results.

my esr, crp, and lgA are elevated. I know one of the tests this week is ANA But can't recall the others. Other symptoms I have are diarrhea/constipation, fatigue, hair loss, hives, itchy palms, itch in the fold behind my knees and elbows, stomach pain, forgetful. I know last year my vitamin d was very low as well as my iron.

I already take lots of vitamins. I have most of my life. My parents started me off young.

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

betterme2014
on 9/8/15 2:01 pm - Canada

my question is anyone else have similar experiences and did it effect your surgery. Did you have rny or vsg and why? If you had surgery how are you healthwise now?

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

Monica9811
on 9/9/15 5:46 am - Peterborough, Canada

A friend of mine has lupus and had surgery in 2013. Healing took longer as she got an infection but she has been doing well since. She had vsg because of all the meds she was on. One of her symptoms were hives as well.... I hope they get to the bottom of it for you!

betterme2014
on 9/9/15 6:01 am - Canada

Thanks Monica9811 for your response. I appreciate the info. I hope to get to the bottom of things soon too. It's been a long journey in itself - and at the same time as preparing for WLS. My gutt has always told me I probably would need a VSG because I've felt like something is 'off' for a long time...beyond my weight. It's good to know at least one other persons experience :) Thanks for sharing!

~ unknown

Monica9811
on 9/9/15 6:08 pm - Peterborough, Canada

This forum is a great resource for information. You will find others with similar issues. All the best. 

Mazey_x
on 9/9/15 10:47 am - Peterborough, Canada
VSG on 08/19/14

I have an auto immune disease and I ended up with a vsg due to nsaid use.  Wouldn't change it for the world.   Hit goal in 11 months..a lot of people think vsg isn't as good of a surgery..it's all in how you use it!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

1. Referal: Aug 17th 2011            Orientation:Nov ,2011 Nurse Practitioner: Dec 22nd 2011   Social Worker: Dec 22nd 2011 Nutrition Class: April 3rd, 2012       Dietitian:April 3rd, 2012 Psychologist:April 2nd, 2012    
  2. Follow up Dietitian: November 16th 2012  Follow up Psychologist: August 28th 2012     Surgeon Meeting:Feb 17, 2012     2nd Surgeon Meeting: April 2014         VSG Surgery Date: Aug 19th 2014
tatirod
on 9/9/15 5:24 pm - Toronto, Canada

I have an autoimmune disease and they booked me for surgery. It depends on what is going in though... My labs are stable. If you're not stable they may postpone, but that's the only main reason I would see them doing it.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Most Active
Recent Topics