The wait.......

Hidingaway
on 10/27/15 7:17 pm

How long after you were referred did you wait to receive your letter from the hospital for your first appointment? I'm close to Ottawa so I'm assuming that's where I'll be going.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

tatirod
on 10/27/15 7:33 pm - Toronto, Canada

I'm in Toronto... but my wait was ~2 weeks. Of course, the appointment was months away, but at least I got my first date relatively quickly. It varies by centre, though.

Good luck on your journey! Don't get discouraged by the bumps in the road.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/15 4:32 am

I'm in Toronto but it was months. I got referred on August 6th and I don't think I heard bac****il late October or November. I also got a call and not a letter.

Kittygirl001
on 10/28/15 5:11 am - Canada

I believe it was 6 months from referral to orientation appointment. But how it worked in-between that time I got a information package from my bariatric clinic with a huge questionnaire to fill out and there was parts for my Dr too, then I had to send that back to them and then a the appointment for orientation was booked.

I hope olé yours goes quicker for you!!

Andrea,

Surgery Date: Dec. 16th, 2015

RNY 

Dr. Lindsay, St. Josephs Healthcare

HW:374, OPTI SW:365 (11/4/15), SW:332, CW: 198

marielewis
on 10/28/15 7:06 am

Also in Toronto My referral was sent in the fall 2014. I had orientation march 2015. I am seeing Dr Klein nov 12. It's been a brutal wait for me

Drvn2skcede
on 10/28/15 8:42 am

I am also in Ottawa. My referral was sent in January 12th (this year) and I got my package about 4-6 weeks ahead of the orientation class, which was booked for April 20th. So 14 weeks from referral to orientation. Everyone's wait times vary though depending on the time of year and the number of people referred at the same time as you etc. I've seen wait times as short as 10 weeks from referral to orientation.

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

iluvlemon
on 10/29/15 6:34 pm
RNY on 01/18/16

Hidingaway......

I have been exactly where you are right now.....we all have I guess. :(

For me once I decided to proceed with my fam doc for the referral I had already waited and so I was (what I thought) all ready to GO. But it doesn't work that way unfortunately. Actually fortunately because you really do need the time. My signature has most of my info but I will fill in some blanks as well.

My centre is Guelph and you will learn each centre is different and each patient within each centre is different. The only thing consistent is the inconsistency. :)

Fam doc referral Jan 15 2015

Letter from Guelph dated Feb 5/15-came with list of tests to have done through fam doc-blood work etc

Orientation Feb 26/15

This is when you can start to "help" yourself. At my orientation the nurse doing the class advised that she believed there were some cancellations so if we chose to proceed call asap to book the first set of appts.

So I called the very next morning.

1st nurse appt - March 2/15

There has been a change with the Bariatric Network in that all docs have to do their initial referrals online. I think this has made the process and wait time for orientation letter more streamlined but that is just my opinion. It eliminated the "lost fax" scenario.

I'm not sure what Ottawa is like but you will get to know the staff at your centre and it will all be good. :)

Cancellations are your best friend if you have the flexibility for short notice etc.

Start your tests ASAP and if you have to have a sleep study get going on that RUSH. I lost 6+ weeks back and forth with the sleep study process yet my appt for sleep study didn't take long to book at all....another cancellation for me. Getting the results and afterward was where I lost some time.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. I was in your shoes not very long ago and now I am just waiting for a surgeon appt....then surgery date. The dates ebb and flow at all centres.....there is no exact science for predicting timelines....just estimates.

If you haven't had a letter or call from your centre in 4 weeks I would say you should follow up-either with your referring doc, your centre or the Bariatric Network.

Good luck.....things will roll along fast and slow....there is lots to learn.

Keep in touch here....I didn't post a lot but I read a lot on this forum at the beginning.

@GUELPH GH*Orientation:Feb 26/15*RN:Mar 2/15*NUT&SW:Apr 13/15*NUT RN SW Jun 25/15*NUT Jul 30/15*Surgeon list Sept 30/15*Post Op Nut Class Nov 16/15*Appt wi surgeon Dr Natasha P-Hong Nov 20/15*PATTS Jan 5/16 745am*Start Opti Jan 4/16*Surgery January 18/16 Dr Jules 1030am*

Most Active
Recent Topics