My review of the new HRRH hospital (Wilson site).

Seyenna
on 11/6/15 7:04 pm, edited 11/6/15 7:40 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

YMMV - please take this into consideration. Also understand that the hospital is BRAND NEW, so take this into consideration as well. I pray that the bugs are ironed out before someone gets really hurt.

1. Calls bells would stop working. I didn't realize this until it was more than an hour before a nurse walked by and I could yell out her name. I was too sick and in too much pain to make the walk (the place is huge and was half empty on my floor).
  2. They did not have the automated machines for my IV, which were taken directly out of the fridge?? and put up. Ever had FREEZING cold saline into your arm? It was so unpleasant. Several times my IV ran empty and my only indication was a warm arm. I woke up to an empty one and who knows how long it was there for. Did I mention I was on NO FOOD or water for 8 days?
  3. Since I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance I did not take my vitamins. I spent a few days in Barrie before going to HRRH, and in Barrie they provided me with my vitamins. HRRH did not, despite my repeated requests.
  4. Internet via the console did not/does not work as of today. No one knows the wifi password. I have no problems paying for these things, they just were not available. They also lost signal to each other and to their systems which were all automated. The nurse had to manually scratch my vitals down on a piece of paper since they're not done any other way, now.
  5. The bathrooms! Oh boy are they lovely. Endless streams of hot showers, and almost all of the rooms are private or semi private now, from what I'm told there are no more wards. The doors slide open, Japanese style. However, the lights are via motion sensor that does not extend to activity inside of the curtain. My lights went dark several times I was there, and I had to very carefully move outside of it and wave my hand around to activate it again, soapy faced and blinded.
  6. This one is more of an annoyance and not as dangerous as the others.. but the hand soap on the meager bathroom sink is activation by motion sensor as well. At least twice I ended up with soap all over my robes before I started to put them on the other side. Which activated the paper towel instead.
  7. EDITED TO ADD: Code red! Turns out this means fire. On my floor. For 45 minutes. The nurses responded by closing my door while I frantically searched what code red meant on google. In speaking to friends about it, they said there's no way they would respond in such a manner. I asked a nurse about it later and was assured that the fire was "quickly under control". At least the intercom was working.
  8. EDITED TO ADD: Dr. Klein mistook me for another patient, coming in to visit and ask how my surgery was. This felt like such a slap in the face as I had to wait days longer than I should have because they "lost my files" and I was never added to the surgery wait list.

I have other issues of course, which caused me to threaten to go to my MP, threaten legal action, caused me to be in fits of tears and work hand in hand with the manager. I got my surgery at 4:00 pm, they wanted me to stay a night or two but I was out the door by 6.

Remember, your mileage may vary but this was my experience.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Seyenna
on 11/6/15 7:21 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

In case some did not read my previous post, I had been hospitalized a few times this year with extreme stomach/back pains but was always sent home because nothing was found despite repeated CT scans. This time, however, they found an infection in my gallbladder, stones blocking my bile duct, a small ulcer, and an internal hernia. Sadly OH still doesn't let you edit your original post until a reply has been made.

Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Canadajet
on 11/7/15 7:36 am

Thanks for your post. I am going to hrrh on nov 18 and will be prepared.  I did ask at my visit if they had the kinks worked out and they were honest that they had issue with the technology but not the skills of staff.  I have my family who are in the medical profession who will be there so I will let them know what to expect.   i do hope you are better now which is what I am hoping for you and tHe complications you have had will be in your past.  All the best

Seyenna
on 11/7/15 10:02 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Best of luck, let me know if some of the things were fixed. I was working hand in hand with the nursing team leader and the manager as well. The hospital rooms are very pretty, big windows, large bathrooms, etc. I've been in hotels that were worse. They just need to fix their IT issues. The actual nurses were fantastic! Every single one of them were attentive and compassionate. 

Monica9811
on 11/7/15 7:41 am - Peterborough, Canada

Wishing you a speedy recovery. That hospital sounds a bit terrifying to me. That is not acceptable. I would definitely write a letter with your concerns and send it to them. Heal well!!

Seyenna
on 11/7/15 10:03 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Once I'm feeling better I will do exactly that. By Monday at the latest.

Kathy S.
on 11/11/15 11:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Seyenna,

My name is Kathy and I am part of Member Services here on OH.  When you create a thread/post and no one has replied you can click more, edit and go into your post and make changes and then save.  If you are finding this is not what is happening for you, please let us know at [email protected]

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

HKT53
on 11/7/15 12:17 am - Toronto, Canada

I read your review three times. Amazing story of what you experienced in the new hospital and what ordeals you survived recently. I do hope you are better now and a much deserved speedy recovery. I thank you for your information. I am still cringing at the thought of my arm being cold from the refrigerated saline pumped through your veins. Is there no mercy? My next surgery is to have three cysts removed from my knee cap. My orthopedic surgeon operates from the new hospital. I will hold off as long as I can and pray it will be day surgery.

Be well my friend.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Needanewbeginning
on 11/7/15 9:06 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Oh pal I am soooo sorry to hear this!

Get well soon.

Annette xo

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

MonaLisaSmile
on 11/7/15 9:39 am - Canada

Sorry you had such a rotten stay Seyenna.  Kinda hard to be positive and heal when everything is so damn annoying!!

Take care of yourself

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Most Active
Recent Topics