Transferring clinics

christinaYR
on 1/4/16 3:42 pm

Has anyone out there successfully transfered from the Bariatric clinic the referral system assigned you too to a clinic of your choice?

I'd like to maybe transfer frim Humbe River to Guelph because the distance is pretty much the same and the wait times at Guelph are 5-8 mos instead of 15+ at Number.

can it be done and if so how? I tried calling Humber today but its hard to get a person and I have little faith they will return my message.

HW 288 Orientation Humber River 8/15

Pandorica
on 1/4/16 5:06 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/21/16

Hi There

I transferred from Humber to Guelph last year. All I did was call the Humber Bariatric Clinic and ask them to transfer me. Just make sure you keep on top of it. It took me several attempts to actually get it done. Calling Guelph a few days after Humber says they took care of it will let you know if it was really done the first time. If not keep on them at Humber til you get the thumbs up from Guelph that you are on their list. Good luck!

christinaYR
on 1/4/16 6:03 pm

was your wait time shorter for having transfered?

Pandorica
on 1/5/16 2:03 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/21/16

Hi

Yes most definately! I hadn't heard anything from Humber about orientation and was worried my referral got lost in the shuffle. I called Guelph (my doctor told me I would have Guelph since it's closest) and they didn't have me on the list. Went back to my doctor and they investigated only to find me at Humber. I asked for a transfer and 3 weeks and 3 follow up phone calls to Humber later i was transferred. Two weeks later i was at Guelph's orientation and have since had my first round of trio appointments and my second set is scheduled later this month.

HKT53
on 1/4/16 5:42 pm - Toronto, Canada

Pandorica is right...that is how I did it. I called the Bariatric clinic that I was registered with and I asked for my files to be transferred to my choice. Mind you, I went a step further. Before I transferred to new hospital, I found the surgeon of my choice and had consultation with him. The only strange thing about this message. I transferred from TWH to Humber River and got Dr. John Hagan. Amazing surgeon.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

christinaYR
on 1/4/16 6:07 pm

I have nothing bad to say about Number it is just their incredibly long wait time that I'm not sure I can bare :)

HKT53
on 1/4/16 6:16 pm - Toronto, Canada

I know about the wait time. It's long but with patience comes much success. (so I would like to believe) And, I never heard a bad word about Guelph either, so go for it.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

need_to_run_81
on 1/5/16 5:54 am

I transferred from HRRH to TWH last February - I had already completed my trio appointments...  Still haven't had surgery.  I didn't do it for a quicker timeline though (but I had hopes).  

I called HRRH and they transferred everything to TWH that week. TWH called the next week with my new orientation. I had hoped all my appointments would transfer with me but they didn't, and I had to start again. But if you're not hoping for that, I say go for it. Worst case it'll take the same amount of time. 

christinaYR
on 1/5/16 3:26 pm

I phoned Guelph and they did confirm that I would have to start back at orientation but seeing as I haven't had additional apt yet it won't matter too much. The surgery times at Guelph are 6 months so compared to Humber if I transfer now I will still get my surgery much sooner. I'm gonna go for it!

lauras_turn
on 1/5/16 7:59 pm - Canada

Humber is really at 15 months??

Age: 43 | Height: 5' 0" | Starting 10/8/15: 220 | BMI: 43 Goal: 100-110 

Referral June 2014/Orientation Humber August 2015/transfer to Guelph January 2016/

Orientation Guelph February 2016/Trio #1 March 2016/Trio #2 April 2016/

Post op nutrition class May 2, 2016/Meet the surgeon May 5, 2016/ Dr. Bhojani Surgery May 24, 2016

Most Active
Recent Topics