How to REALLY know you're ready for surgery?!?

betterme2014
on 1/4/16 1:36 pm, edited 1/4/16 1:58 pm - Canada

Can any of you please answer that?

Some people just seem more excited then me, I'm still nervous. It makes me wonder if I missed something. I have been cleared by the social worker, dietitian, nurse etc. I meet with the surgeon next and get my surgery date. I've been questioning if I'm really ready. How do you know when you are really ready. I want the surgery...but I often wonder do I really know what I'm getting myself into. I read read read...I am linked to several support groups etc. Read more read more.... Learn and learn. I stopped drinking coffee, stopped nsaids, take vitamins daily, don't drink water with my meals, eat protein first. This are the things that I needed to take care of. There are other things that I'm sure I could improve on. The holiday season sort of through me for a loop but thank God I'm getting back on track. I just wonder how do you really know you're ready and do I really know what I'm getting into. I'm getting a bit freaked out!!!

Thanks for any feedback :)

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

Leslie W.
on 1/4/16 2:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada

For me I was so ready. Why did I start the process? I wanted to be healthy. I wanted to stop hurting, get control of BP, cholesterol and apnea. If I had all these issues and I wasn't yet 50 what would I be like in the next 10 years? I wanted to be able to buy regular size clothing oh and get boots that zipped upto my knees. 

Sounds like you have made a great start in making positive changes getting ready. I have absolutely no regrets. Are all my health issues gone? No I have a few new ones but 4 years later I am absolutely positive and would do it all again in a heartbeat. 

I think we all "freak out" when we think of this surgery you are not alone.

Good luck

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
betterme2014
on 1/4/16 2:36 pm - Canada

Thanks for the response :)

One thing that you touched on...you had BP, cholesterol and apnea...I don't have any thing...I think what scares me is what if I get more health problems because of the surgery. Is getting skinny worth the risk. I'm worried about the trade off. Yet deep down I know that if I stay at this weight I WILL have host of obesity related problems. SO I guess I just answered my own fear ;)

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

MonaLisaSmile
on 1/4/16 5:14 pm, edited 1/5/16 12:32 pm - Canada

Can any of you please answer that?

Some people just seem more excited then me, I'm still nervous. It makes me wonder if I missed something. I have been cleared by the social worker, dietitian, nurse etc. I meet with the surgeon next and get my surgery date. I've been questioning if I'm really ready. How do you know when you are really ready. I want the surgery...but I often wonder do I really know what I'm getting myself into. I read read read...I am linked to several support groups etc. Read more read more.... Learn and learn. I stopped drinking coffee, stopped nsaids, take vitamins daily, don't drink water with my meals, eat protein first. These are the things that I needed to take care of. There are other things that I'm sure I could improve on. The holiday season sort of through me for a loop but thank God I'm getting back on track. I just wonder how do you really know you're ready and do I really know what I'm getting into. I'm getting a bit freaked out!!!

Thanks for any feedback :)

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

betterme2014
on 1/4/16 5:26 pm - Canada

Thanks so much for your response and sharing so openly. It helps. I think I'm 90% sure :) Maybe even 99%...It would be easier if everyone did do exactly the same after surgery so I would know for sure what to expect but I guess that isn't possible! I do feel like I'm ready on so many levels. Sometimes I think I just need to do it and take things as they come. I know deep down I might not ever be totally ready as really I don't totally know how I will be post-op. How can I prepare for something I don't know despite making as much effort to know everything. I will make a list of pros and cons - that's really good advice thank you.

~ unknown

Toronto Girl
on 1/4/16 7:57 pm

This is me 100%. I'm in the EXACT same spot. I DREAD opti, too.

I'm less nervous all the time, and I want things associated with the results, so I'm not turning back.

I think for me I wont be 100% ready until I'm there. Unless we already are and we're just looking for "ready" that isn't coming...

betterme2014
on 1/5/16 12:26 pm - Canada

Yup! True!!!

~ unknown

need_to_run_81
on 1/5/16 6:13 am

I don't know, either. I'm at exactly the same spot as you. Meet surgeon (made it to rounds a month ago, haven't heard anything because of Christmas), have surgery. I started this process in May 2014. 20 months - still nervous, still not "ready". 

I have mild sleep apnea. That's it. 

But I also have young children, a fit husband, and an awesome life that I want to live to enjoy.  Every night when I rock my toddler to sleep I feel my hips squeezed into the nursery rocking chair and I know that I NEED this surgery to be successful. I worry that I won't survive surgery and I won't see him grow into a father himself. I worry my preschool aged daughter will be teased about my weight.  There will never be a better time to get truly healthy.

So although I am nervous, I'm ready.  Ready to just get the surgery itself over, and then take care of myself so I can be here alive on this earth to experience this life I worked HARD to make.

I'm not ready, but it's time.  I will always question because I'm an intelligent person that understands the risks, however, getting better acquainted with the risks of being obese as I age, really helps me be "ready".  

betterme2014
on 1/5/16 12:29 pm - Canada

You are right! I think it's the risks. The risks with the surgery and the risks without it.

Sometimes we just need to take a leap of faith and deal with things as they come.

I wish you well!

~ unknown

Catw
on 1/5/16 6:13 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hate to tell you this, but you're normal.  No matter how ready we think we are, and how excited we are, part of us is still scared.  Having surgery is opening a door to the unknown.  And we know it will be a big change for us.  All big changes are scary, we all ask "What will life be like after this?".  And with no two experiences being the same, you don't know what's up.  All you can do is have faith in the program and trust your surgeons.

Sounds like you have made a great start on new habits.  There will be lots of learning to do after surgery (no magic at all).  And that includes learning to listen to your gut - literally.  Your gut will start telling you lots of things.  When you've over done exercise, eating, etc.  And it will tell you when you are ready for the next stage, or that it doesn't like something.  (Some people can't handle some foods, but you learn to get around that).

Enjoy your journey!

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics