Question re: upper GI scope in Ottawa

Drvn2skcede
on 1/6/16 5:10 am

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do an upper GI scope in Ottawa during their process, and if so, how long did it take to get back the results?  My scope is scheduled for next friday and OWMC won't schedule my surgery class until the results are back from that (I'm passed through the Beh/Nut now).  I'm just wondering what to expect here for a wait.  And also, did you have to wait long for a date for your surgery class?  They told me they hold them all the time (when I asked if I could just go ahead and schedule it while I was waiting for the scope).  It's so frustrating that they seem to do only one step at a time.  They won't schedule my surgery class until the scope results are back.  From what i've seen from others going through Ottawa, they had to wait about a month between their Beh/Nut and their surgery class, so it wasn't like they were just able to get into the next class being held.  I thought I could schedule the surgery class while I was waiting for the scope, but nope, doesn't work that way. Thanks for any input.

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

TES
on 1/6/16 6:56 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi there Drvn;

I had the Upper GI done prior to getting my surgery date.  The procedure was VERY simple and only slightly uncomfortable.  At the end of the procedure the doctor told me right there that everything looked good - no ulcers or other things of concern and that she'd get the report right over to the clinic. I had already had the pre-surgery class, and had met the surgeon - he was the one that ordered the upper GI since I had acid reflux from time to time.

My Upper GI was at the end of March, and it was the end of May before I got my surgery date. (This was 2014).

The process is different for everyone depending on your needs and the medical staffs' concerns about you.  Trust me when I say, everything they do is for your own good and although the wait is frustrating, it's worth it.  It's worth making sure that absolutely everything is properly lined up and you are as healthy and emotionally ready as you can be.

Good luck with the rest of your journey!

TES

Most Active
Recent Topics