Varacose Veins etc.

Carchick28
on 1/8/16 9:12 am - Canada

I have my fair number of varacose veins and spider veins in my legs as well as puffy (swollen legs).  I am pre-op but wonder what happens to your legs after you have lost your weight.  I know that exercising will help with toning the legs etc. but curious to know what weight loss will do if any thing to the veins.  Curious to know what happened with other. 

HKT53
on 1/8/16 10:39 am - Toronto, Canada

While I cant say exactly what you will experience, I have probably a bit worse. I have deep vein thrombosis, varcose veins and did have swollen legs for many years. Weight loss can be beneficial in reducing the swollen legs and make mobility much easier. I had my revision to RNY in July 2015. I had to give myself blood thinner shots after surgery for one month. My swelling went down as I was losing weight and respectfully cut out salt and no more carbs that come with salt. That was a big relief to my legs. I did have a few weeks where my legs/ankles swelled after surgery but to me perfectly understandable. First week in Dec I went on a week vacation. My ankles swelled as soon as I got in the air and stayed swollen until last week. Now Im back to normal. I attribute the swelling to high altitude and salt in foods not prepared by myself (also the Holiday season didnt help and I was off track once and awhile). But Im back on track and ankles good and no aching pain.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Carchick28
on 1/8/16 10:45 am - Canada

Thanks for the information.  I figure that the swelling will go down.  Any improvement in the Varcose veins?  I am hoping that they will not show so much.  I don't necessarily think that they will go way completely but I would really like to hope they get less noticeable. 

HKT53
on 1/8/16 1:25 pm - Toronto, Canada

Oh you wanted to know if the varicose veins diminished or disappeared. Sadly in my case....NO. If anything, the thinner I am, the more enhanced they appear. Having said that, I am a senior and I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that my legs are wrinkled, so much extra skin and popped up veins...I am at the stage in my head that I will hide all with long pants. It wasn't a pretty site in Mexico at the beach last month, but - HEY - the people that were looking at me will in all likelihood never see me again. I am working on the toning and exercise angle and we shall see how well that goes for me. Everybody is different, so the earlier in life you get to bettering circulation, the less visible damage.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Leslie W.
on 1/8/16 3:14 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Unfortunately once the veins have been damaged they don't get better. With weight loss it should prevent them from getting worse. I just had mine stripped last year. Sclerotherapy will help. Something to look at post op. Wearing compression stocking help too

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics