Blood Work Results Question

Carchick28
on 5/30/16 7:24 am - Canada

My question relates to blood work.  When I did my first round of blood work my Hemoglobin (109), Hematocrit (0.35),MCH (24.2) and MCHC (312) were in the Low range not crazy low but low enough.  My Iron was okay, Ferritin was Low and B-12 was okay and vitamin D was low. 

I was put on 300 mg of FeraMax/day iron plus a prenatal multivitamin as well as Vitamin D and A as the A was slightly low.  Vitamin D level is now good.  Ferritin is now in the normal range as well. 

Now having said all of that.  I have been dealing with "mild anemia" for a number of years that my family doctor was never really overly concerned about as she said that looking back at previous years of blood work that my number was always a bit low. 

I did follow up blood work and those numbers are now a bit lower, not by a lot but a bit lower and not higher.  However, I feel much better overall after taking all of this iron etc.   I also am hypothyroid.  I understand that hypothyroid can affect those levels as well.  I do take mediation for my hypothyroid.  

I have my surgery scheduled for the end of June and I am curious as to whether or not anyone else had a similar issue and what the outcome was of having the blood work not in the "good" range, did they cancel or postpone surgery? 

Thanks,

northernga1
on 5/30/16 7:48 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

Do you have a heavy menstrual cycle this could be the cause of the iron getting lower.  I would look into see a gyno asap because after surgery you iron will get even lower if you periods get even heavier.  I was hemmoraging every month with my cycles after my surgery last June and ended up having to have uterine ablation done in November to stop my cycles all together.  Maybe taking feramax 3x a day instead of twice will help.  Open the capsule and dissolve the powder into a hot liquid such as tea or coffee its the best way to absorb it after you have your surgery. 

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Carchick28
on 5/30/16 7:55 am - Canada

Thanks for the response.  I rarely have a menstrual cycle anymore.  Had one a few months back and then prior to that was more than a year before that. Even before that they were never heavy, never really have been.  As I mentioned my family doctor has said that my numbers have been low for years and she just thinks it is "my normal" but I know these levels are important when it comes to having surgery which is the reason for my concern.  I have left a message at the clinic to speak to the nurse and will speak to them at my pre-op appointment but just wondered if anyone else had out of wack blood work and still had surgery. 

Grim_Traveller
on 5/31/16 10:12 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On May 30, 2016 at 2:48 PM Pacific Time, northernga1 wrote:

Do you have a heavy menstrual cycle this could be the cause of the iron getting lower.  I would look into see a gyno asap because after surgery you iron will get even lower if you periods get even heavier.  I was hemmoraging every month with my cycles after my surgery last June and ended up having to have uterine ablation done in November to stop my cycles all together.  Maybe taking feramax 3x a day instead of twice will help.  Open the capsule and dissolve the powder into a hot liquid such as tea or coffee its the best way to absorb it after you have your surgery. 

Coffee, and especially tea, inhibits absorption of iron. You won't absorb very much at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

wiccandove
on 5/30/16 10:09 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

I have an anemic condition called Thalassemia Minor. Basically It means my red blood cells are too small. This was undiagnosed until in my 30's, and good thing too because extra iron does nothing for people with thalessemia. Turns out a complication of being overweight and having this condition is that my body is producing too many white blood cells.

I saw a hematologist because of the white blood cell issue, which was helpful because he sent his notes to the bariatric team so they know even though my bloodwork says "abnormal" for almost everything, its "normal" for me.

I have my surgery on June 6th, no talk of postponing or canceling. They take blood at your pre-op too so I would assume if something was up they would have told me by now!

Carchick28
on 5/30/16 10:13 am - Canada

Thanks for the information.  That is helpful. I actually spoke with the Nurse today and the ones that she was concerned with did go up to normal levels but the ones that were still in the Lo range she said right now that would be okay as long as they at least maintained or went up.  She gave me a couple of other suggestions to try so I will see what happens when I do my pre op blood work. 

Laura M.
on 5/31/16 5:32 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/03/16

I have a bit of a reverse situation to you.  My hemoglobin is now in the normal range but my iron/ferritin levels will never reach "normal".  I have been getting iron infusions at the hospital for a few years since I just don't seem to absorb iron properly. I had iron induced anemia so my hemoglobin levels were also low to start.  Now that I've been getting the infusions, that has gone up but I have to continue going.  If I don't go, my iron drops and if it drops low enough (it was 8 at one point!) or for long enough, then my hemoglobin will also drop again.  I won't be taking iron supplements because I cannot tolerate them which was the reason for the infusions.  My hospital (a different hospital than where I'm having my RNY on Friday) will monitor my bloodwork post-surgery just like they have previously.  If my numbers drop, they will make my infusions closer together to properly moderate my iron levels. This has not prevented me from having surgery. I'm not sure how they would feel if my hemoglobin was still low though since you obviously lose some blood during surgery.  If they have seen your bloodwork and still booked you for surgery, then I would assume that they aren't too concerned?

GP Referral to OBN - Dec 1/15;   Orientation - Feb 11/16;   Intake meeting - Feb 17;  Consultation w/ surgeon - Apr 18;  Start OPTI - May 13; Pre-Admit w/ Anesthetist - May 16; Surgery - Jun 3/16!!!

Carchick28
on 5/31/16 7:35 am - Canada

The nurse did not think that it would be an issue but when I do my pre-op appointment I will be asking them about it.  I wish you all the best with your surgery.  Thanks for the information.   I have no issues taking the iron supplements and if anything I tend to have the opposite issue of what most people have when taking iron.  :-)  Thanks for the information.

wiccandove
on 6/1/16 12:50 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Laura have you ever been tested for thalassemia? If not and you have any Mediterranean background you may want to ask to be tested for it if you haven't, its just a blood test. My iron has been as low as 8.5 For years I took mega doses of iron that never helped, and taking too much iron can cause other issue (kidney I think?)

wiccandove
on 6/1/16 12:52 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Ooops this sentence should read "My iron has been as low as 8.5. For years I took mega doses of iron that never helped," not that my iron has been 8.5 for years lol

Most Active
Recent Topics