Advice please

wiccandove
on 7/21/16 1:52 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Yesterday I had a stricture opened. I expect to be somewhat uncomfortable for a day or so but here is my issue - I had pudding with protein powder this morning, went down ok although I felt slightly nauseous. Started drinking my protein powder water, took my calcium chewables and my PPI - again, fine except for nausea. Took my dose of Zoloft, which are 2 capsules. One capsule is the same size as the PPI and the other is smaller. Almost immediately I had sharp pains, but lower then where the pain the for the stricture was. Also has an overwhelming urge to have a bm (sorry) but was constipated. It took about 45 minutes for the pain to go away and I still have nausea. 

I spoke to a nurse who of course said I should go to emerg and that there could be other complications and it was hard to assess over the phone. When I asked what other complications the nurse said she "didn't want to get into it" without having me evaluated.

I'm wondering if its the zoloft? I'm due to take my multi vit in about an hour so I'll see if those pills give me pain as well - they are much larger then the zoloft.

I'm frustrated and scared, and really, really do not want to go to emerg. Any advice?

Leslie W.
on 7/21/16 6:47 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Sorry you're not well. I would skip the MVI. It is not essential. Wait till nausea better. If it happened right after taking your capsule. It could be stuck. Hope it passes soon.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
lizz122964
on 7/22/16 3:34 am

Sorry that your not feeling well. I'm just wondering why your not taking chewable vitamins or crushing your meds?

wiccandove
on 7/22/16 5:06 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

I was on chewables until last week for vitamins and calcium and was told it was ok to switch to regular pills. The PPI and the Zoloft I've been taking in capsule form since day 1 per the surgeon.

Last night I had no issues with the vitamins, so lets see what happens when I take my capsules this morning - wish me luck!

KristieA
on 7/22/16 12:15 pm - Orillia, Canada

How long after eating the pudding did the urge to have a bm happen?  I am 5.5 years out and pudding makes me dump and dump bad especially if I don't have anything else with it.  Dumping can be delayed and take a while to hit you.   A food one time can be fine and then the next time cause a reaction.  One day I am fine with raisins, the next they are a no go.  

Vitamins can be hard on your stomach.  I take mine once I have eaten something substantial.  With your stricture problem that obviously can't happen.  I definitely don't advocate or recommend to 'skip' vitamins but maybe a couple of days without may be a good idea.  The Zoloft and PPI are definitely crucial.  If the PPI and Zoloft don't need to be spaced out, maybe take the PPI and then shortly after the Zoloft.

Hope you feel better soon.  When in doubt call the Centre or head to the hospital.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

IamBettyCooper
on 7/23/16 8:43 am

If you aren't feeling better later today, please go to emerg at TWH.  After all you've been through, don't take any chances!

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Most Active
Recent Topics