Patiently waiting!!

kayohtee
on 8/23/16 12:55 am

Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker for quite some time now but I thought I would come out of the shadows. My referral was sent to TWH June 16, 2016 and I'm still waiting for an orientation letter. I have spoken to someone at TWH and she confirmed that they do have my referral and my name is in the queue, but when that letter will arrive who knows. She said they printed letters for October so I'm assuming if I haven't received it yet or she hasn't told me they printed one for me, than I might not be going to that orientation. Anyways, I do want to be proactive with this waiting time! Is there anything I could do now that might help me in the future? Such as requesting a sleep study, bloodwork etc?

Thanks so much in advance and I hope to be posting here more often!

sneezy6145
on 8/23/16 9:17 am

I don't know there is much you can request on your own. Just be patient, it will come.  This is vacation season. My surgeon has been on vacation every other week. Try to relax and just keep reading about the surgery, that will help you to be an informed patient.  Enjoy the rest of the summer. 

kayohtee
on 8/23/16 12:08 pm

I'm definitely trying :D. I've been doing a lot of reading which is only exciting me more hah! 

nitethyme
on 8/23/16 9:40 am - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

I went through TWH as well ... I had my GP refer me for a sleep study rather than wait for the NP to tell me to have it ... this will save some time. You can always ask about any cancellations as well.  I didn't even know I had the orientation until they phoned me to confirm as I had not received a letter at all. Keep positive your time will come 

Referral: September 2014; TWH Orientation: December 9, 2014; Social Worker: March 2015; Nutrition Class: May 5,  2015; Nurse Practitioner: May 20, 2015; Psych Evaluation: August 2015; Nutritionist: September 2015; Meet the Surgeon: November 6, 2015; Pre-Op: December 4, 2015; Scheduled Surgery: December 18, 2015; HW 367; SW 341

kayohtee
on 8/23/16 12:09 pm

I know they have my referral so that has calmed me a lot. I guess I'm just so excited about the process! 

LeslieT3440
on 8/23/16 3:36 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You can have your GP refer you for the sleep study like previously suggested and if you smoke quit now. They will also be looking for you to make some positive changes in your eating/drinking (alcohol)habits. I was a smoker & had to quit (was the best thing I have ever done so far) and I was a glass of wine per night drinker and was told I needed to break that habit :-( I do miss that one lol. I also suggest using myfitness pal app to help with tracking food and such. Finally just keep reading a lot of post on this forum, it is full of amazing supportive people who have a wealth of experience.

Welcome and best of luck and hope to hear from you :-)   

RNY - TWH - Orientation April 2015,  SW July 2015, NP Sept 2015, NUT class November 2015, NUT & Psych January 2016, 2nd NUT April 2016, Meet the Surgeon July 2016, Surgery October 4th 2016

kayohtee
on 8/25/16 4:38 am

Thank you so much for the tips!!! I'm telling myself each day it's a process and it will happen, I just have to be patient :) 

Teena D.
on 8/24/16 6:18 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Call every week and ask them if they have any cancellations for the orientation.  And if you snore a lot make sure you have a sleep study done- I do snore but my doctor asked me some screening questions and said I didn't need a sleep study. The Nurse agreed. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

kayohtee
on 8/25/16 4:40 am

That's a good tip about calling! I think I'm going to start calling weekly in mid September because to my knowledge the orientation is October 5th at TWH! I snore as well but have never qualified for a sleep study but I'll go see my doctor again just in case :)

Most Active
Recent Topics