3 month follow up

wiccandove
on 9/3/16 10:00 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

I had my 3 month follow up yesterday at TWH with Sharon, who was super nice!

My blood tests came back deficient in Vitamin A and D so I need to take supplements for a while while increasing my fruits and veggies. Not sure how I'm going to do that when some days I don't even make my protein goals! 

My B12 was slightly high so I need to take B12 every 3 days instead of every day.

I started using patches for multi vit, calcium w/ D3 and B12 last month but had only been using them for about a week when my blood tests were done so I doubt they had much impact on my blood results. Sharon says I am her only patient using patches lol.

The other issue is my iron, which also came back low. However, I have an anemic condition called Thallasemia Minor which is where the red blood cells are too small to carry iron and oxygen efficiently so I always come back low. For many, many years I was told to take iron supplements only to find out after my diagnoses that iron supplements are useless for thallasemia. Well even after explaining this to Sharon she still told me to take extra iron twice a day. I've decided to get the actual blood results sent to my family doctor and will probably get a referral go back to a hematologist before I start taking iron again.

Overall the appointment was good. I've lost 58% of my goal weight, which Sharon says should be 155-160 pounds.

So now I just have to figure out how to get more fruits and veggies in! Any tips appreciated :)

LeslieT3440
on 9/3/16 1:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada

So happy to hear over all your doing great and congrats on the 58% to weight goal, you must feel great. 

As for fruits and veggies I love adding fruits to a protein drink and i will also make a smoothie with plain Greek yogurt and add spinach or kale with carrots and apples, you can also add some protein powder for added protein. I also will use mixed frozen field berries. I haven't had surgery yet so I'm not sure if these drinks are suitable post op but I love them as a healthy don't have time for a full breakfast.

good luck

RNY - TWH - Orientation April 2015,  SW July 2015, NP Sept 2015, NUT class November 2015, NUT & Psych January 2016, 2nd NUT April 2016, Meet the Surgeon July 2016, Surgery October 4th 2016

Eragon2015
on 9/3/16 7:48 am - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

wow, thats wild!. 58% of your goal weight in 3 months? Ive only lost 40 pounds in just under 3 months. You have lost 150 pounds? I have my 3 month follow up on sept 20th.Guess I'll find out then if my thyroid is not working. My tsh is pretty high.  Geez, now i feel really bad about my weight loss. Something must be wrong. But so happy for you. Congrats!

2BHealthy2016
on 9/4/16 10:25 am

Eragon2015

I am 3 months post operative and had my 3 months appt. and was told that I have lost 66% of my body fat already. To put this in perspective I have only los 48 lbs since surgery day! Your weight lost is not bad at all. Everyone is different. I am hoping that this surgery weight loss will keep up for about 1 year. Not sure but if you are doing things right then dont worry about how much you have lost. Keep positive.

DecimaXXI
on 9/6/16 3:06 pm
RNY on 09/21/16

Hey!

Don't feet bad.  My surgery is scheduled 2 weeks from now and I'm going into this with the mindset that I'm in this for the long haul and my weight loss may not be as rapid as others.  I've lost the 20 lbs in one month with diet and exercise before but a part of it was that I had a lot to lose.  Good that you are following up to see if there is something wrong but take a deep breath and stick to the plan.  Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well for you with your follow up and weight loss journey!!

HW - 307 (Dec 2002), SW - 249 (Aug 2016), RNY - TOH - Referral February 7, 2016, Orientation April 15, 2016, NUT April 29, Dr Exam May 20, NUT Education Class May 25, NUT June 6, NUT July 6, Meet Surgeon July 27, Surgery Dr Mamazza September 21, 2016.                                                         

wiccandove
on 9/16/16 8:28 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

I'd lost around 70 pounds at the time of my three month check up

Spenceymommy
on 9/4/16 6:52 pm

I am 3.5 months out and Down 75lbs. I still find it hard to get fruit and veggies after I get protien in and some days I still don't hit protien or water goals! 

IamBettyCooper
on 9/14/16 4:00 pm

Greens Plus comes in a powder you can add into smoothies or other foods (like tomato sauce or soup) ... there are

different flavours.  Or their are capsules.  I take them 2x a week to up my veggies.  I have also been having one

V-8 juice a day.  Helps with the protein and it has 1g of protein.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

IamBettyCooper
on 9/14/16 4:02 pm

PS  I just did my bloodwork for the 3 month follow up at the end of the month and I am using the vitamin patches too, 

just adding D3 and B12 3x a week.  Will be curious to see how my bloodwork is.  I asked about the patches and the

nutritionist advised against them because they were not certified in Canada but I decided to try them anyway ... easier

and cheaper.  And if you buy 6 month at a time, the shipping is very reasonable.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Most Active
Recent Topics