Has anyone had revision surgery?

StevesGal
on 1/11/17 11:43 am - Hamilton, Canada
Hello, everyone.  It's been 5 1/2 years since my RNY (and 4 1/2 years since I've posted), and I've gained a lot of the weight back.  It really came to light when I logged in here today and saw my last few posts.  I had lost 117 lbs and was 15 lbs from my goal.  I never made it and until now I never realized just how close I had come, and how far I've reversed.  I was nearly a Size 16/18 (which on my frame is the best I can do), and now I'm back up to 22/24. I take complete responsibility for my downfall, and now I need to kick it back to the curb.

And to top things off, last October I had emergency abdominal surgery because I had an ulcer that caused a pinhole in my stomach or intestine, which lead to air leaking into my abdominal cavity with no where to go.  I thought I was having a heart attack, the pain was that severe in my left shoulder and back.  3:30 am ride in an ambulance and after 1 x-ray and 3 MRI's, they finally found the problem and I had surgery that same night at 7pm.  Off work for 3 weeks, but now I'm fine.  My surgeon and floor doctor recommended that I see my bariatric surgeon for a follow-up.  At first they said that, because I'd gone past the 5 year mark, I was 'no longer a patient' of theirs.  I told my surgeon that, and he sent a referral through for me. 

They finally called yesterday with an appointment this month - but the message that was left was that I was going to 'meet with the surgeon and sign release forms' ???  I'm assuming that the nurse just didn't realize she said the standard line, and that this is a follow-up to my October surgery.  But I thought that, while I was there, I'd ask about revision surgery.  Does any know about, or has had, revision surgery?  Basically, they go back in and redo the RNY (make the hole smaller, I guess).

Also, what is the wait time at St. Joe's Hamilton these days?  When I had my surgery in 2011, I was able to get in fairly quickly (GP referral in November, surgery in June) as it was just before a big blast of referrals and a huge backlog.

Thanks for any info you may have.  Bless.

Beth

Monica9811
on 1/11/17 2:56 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Hi there!  If you do a search of this topic you will find a lot of information on it. Key is to find out why you gained weight back in first place. I'm not being mean but you need to address this issue first in order for the revision to work a second time. I know it's not easy and one thing I have found is that even though I've been at my goal weight for 3 years I'm in this site several times a day. You need to keep your head in this game non stop or you will gain. Wishing you all the best. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/17 3:40 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I haven't seen anyone post on Ontario forum ever that they tighten the RNY.  Most that revise end up going from RNY to sleeve or vice versa.  I don't even think they re-sleeve in Ontario.  Perhaps the surgeon wants to scope you and that could be why you are being told you have to sign consent/release forms.  I had a friend that had the old gastric bypass from 20 years ago and she saw Dr. Hong.  He was going to revise her to a sleeve then in 6 months to a year he'd do the switch if he thought she needed it to lose the rest of her weight.  He scoped her many times prior to even saying he would do that as he had to see if the old gastric bypass may have caused any issues for him to do any further surgery.  In the end she wasn't able to get anything done as she could have died during the reversal due to so much scar tissue.  He stopped the surgery as it simply was not safe for him to continue and he'd not put her life on the line for it.  She was very disappointed but has accepted it wasn't meant to be and she is back to trying the good old diet routine.  Not telling you this to scare you but just want you to be aware of what could happen.  Revisions are far tougher than virgin surgeries and they always take our safety into consideration before proceeding.  As Monica said, you need to know the reason for the regain and try to make changes to avoid going back to them.  You have taken accountability for it so that is a first good step and you may already know why you regained but you just have to keep working on that part so it doesn't happen again if you are lucky enough to get some type of revision.

Most Active
Recent Topics