Silly question

Kathy1212
on 2/4/17 7:25 am

Good morning!  I am either Day3 Post op or Day 4 post op; not sure how it is counted, lol.  I had surgery on Feb. 1st, in the morning, so is that op day, and Feb. 2nd was Day 1 post op (making today Day 3 post op?).

I warned you it was a silly question.

I am feeling better now that I'm out of the hospital and in the room that I rented in Toronto.  It's not the greatest place but I rented it because my friend is staying with me and she needed a kitchen for her food, and this place has a kitchen. I'm working on my premier protein today. The chocolate is quite good, and my pouch is fine with it.  It's going to take me forever to drink one though. I've been working on the same one since 8 AM and it's still almost full.  I'm using those tiny pill cups from the hospital to measure my sips so I won't take too much at once.

I almost got all of my water in yesterday, so I guess I"m doing OK considering I'm so new to all of this. 

At this point, what is more important, the protein or the water, and does premier protein count toward water?

Thanks,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Mahalo F.
on 2/4/17 7:38 am, edited 2/3/17 11:39 pm

Hi Kathy!

How are you doing?

Crazy... It seems like yesterday that you were exciting about upcoming surgery...

Water is most important at this stage... Premier Protein shakes can be introduced with time.

Both are very important bu****er is key to proper hydration.

Further on you will count your Premiere Protein shakes as a fluid bu****er is more important.

I used to sip constantly... At least 30 ml before 20 minutes end.

Start over and repeat.

This will seem like a full time job and that is all that you do all day long.

The key is constant & ongoing sipping...

Hope this helps and take care of yourself.

Sandra.  

Mahalo  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Kathy1212
on 2/4/17 7:58 am

Thanks Sandra,

I know; it doesn't seem possible that I've already had surgery and have joined you all on the loser's bench. Except the pain in my one incision insists it's true, lol.

I'm glad I made sure to get most of my water in yesterday. I am constantly sipping and very careful not to overdo it. 

I am doing better today than I did yesterday.  I still have pain when I walk too much or go from sitting to standing or vice versa, but once I stay still, the pain is manageable. I'm only taking 1 mg of my pain killer every 4 hours instead of 2 mg because the pain killer was making me ill and lightheaded.  If I could take the full dosage I think the pain would be much better, but my body just can't tolerate it.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

FozzieBear
on 2/4/17 7:42 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Staying hydrated is the most important thing for you right now so getting your fluids in should be your focus and yes the premier counts towards that total. The first premier I had post op took about 4 hours to finish and left me feeling terrible, although I have tried them again since without any issues. 

I'm not sure why you're concerned about the specific day you're on but I would say you are 3 days post op. If you're wondering for the purpose of tracking what food stage you are at, in my case I was told to start counting from the day I went home. My surgery was on a Monday and I was home on Wednesday so Wednesday was day one of my 2 week liquid phase.

Glad that things seem to be off to a good start for you. Good luck going forward! 

RNY - Nov 21st 2016

HW 386 SW 309.8 CW 174.1

M1: 17 M2: 17.2 M3: 12.6 M4: 18.8 M5: 14.4 M6: 18.4 M7: 13.5 M8: 13.1 M9: 7.8

Christine

Kathy1212
on 2/4/17 8:02 am

Thank you.

I just wanted to know the day for tracking purposes.

I was discharged but am not home yet as I had to travel quite some distance for surgery and was told I needed to stick around in Toronto for several days after in case of complications. I will be flying home on Tuesday Feb. 7th, only 3 more days; woohoo!

Kathy  

MC_Akeson
on 2/4/17 8:19 am - Ontario, Canada

Hi Kathy!

Glad to see all is going better now and that you don't have as much pain and not being sick like a couple days ago. 

Keep up the drinking. Yesterday and so far today I'm very bloated from the sipping marathon. I always have the "ball in the stomach" feeling and don't like it much. But the rest is all good.

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

MC_Akeson
on 2/4/17 8:37 am - Ontario, Canada

Liquids are important and I was told to work to gradually get to 2 litres in total and that is counting all the liquids including shakes and jello. Protein is also important to repair and heal properly so try to have a portion of your liquids in protein shakes. My booklet says that women should aim between 60 -90 gr. and to work gradually to get to this marker. 

Did they give you a booklet to follow for the upcoming weeks and phases? Are you having your 1 week appointment before heading back home?

Kathy1212
on 2/4/17 10:01 am

I have a one month follow up in Sudbury but not a one week follow up in Toronto.  They just asked me to stay nearby in case there are complications (like fever or an infection or difficulty keeping anything down).

I do have a book that I was given in Sudbury with all of the info but no specific info about whether protein counts as liquid. Unless I just missed that part; I'll have to reread it (for the zillionth time, lol).  The booklet did say to focus on protein for healing but others were saying fluids are more important at this point so I was just wondering. 

I'm sorry you get that feeling in your tummy.

Weird question, but does your bum or back hurt, lol? Mine are really aching.

Hugs,

Kathy

Kathy  

MC_Akeson
on 2/4/17 10:31 am, edited 2/4/17 2:40 am - Ontario, Canada

Still a tiny bit sore in upper back but that's it. The following link is the pdf copy of the book I was given with what to do for the 5 stages and recipes "Your Meal Planner after Bariatric Surgery" and the nutrition package for healthy eating Nutrition Package Both are in English and French so you may not need to print the whole package.

odie
on 2/4/17 10:39 am
RNY on 05/26/14
On February 4, 2017 at 6:31 PM Pacific Time, MC_Akeson wrote:

Still a tiny bit sore in upper back but that's it. The following link is the pdf copy of the book I was given with what to do for the 5 stages and recipes "Your Meal Planner after Bariatric Surgery" and the nutrition package for healthy eating Nutrition Package 

Hey, this is great!!  I'm almost 3 yrs out but got nothing!  I'm going to print it out too!!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Most Active
Recent Topics