Pre-op consult today - less than satisfying or encouraging

Simplyb
on 4/10/17 10:11 am
RNY on 04/12/17

So, I had my pre-op consult today, besides almost being run over in the parking lot I felt very discouraged - surgery is in two days - I have done my due diligence- I know the risks - I am looking forward to a new toll to combat my weight, high blood pressure and New onset diabetes, and reduce my cardiac risks - I am set - I am ready and...

(I have lost 6 lbs on Opti - almost three weeks of three shakes daily and only 6 lbs. Oh well - I know my losses will be slow, I have dieted for 36 years - so looking forward to the reset!)

But I digress, my rant is the conversation I had with the medical staff clearing me for surgery- again....

"your BMI is under 40, you have lost weight, are you sure you need this surgery?"

Yes, YES, YES.

"there are a lot of risks, are you sure you want to go ahead"

Yes, YES, YES

"you are not as big as some of the patients we see, perhaps you could lose this yourself?"

If, I could would I be here? sigh

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/17 10:30 am
RNY on 03/26/17

Sorry your pr-op wasn't the best, I would chalk it up to the staff having a bad case of the "MONDAYS" of course you know if you want surgery or not, it's a long process and you've made it! Hope all goes well with your surgery! Take care, Sonja

sweetart
on 4/10/17 11:18 am - Windsor, ON
RNY on 12/20/16

I lost almost 100lbs on my own before surgery. And yes, its their job to tell you that there are serious dangers. I'm 3.5 months post op and was told that if I didn't lose another pound I am considered a success.

Go with your gut and get the tool. But yes, I got the same schpeel LOL

Melissa in Windsor, Ontario

Referral 1/15/2016 - Surgery TEGH (Michael Garron) December 20, 2016 w/ Dr. Aarts

5'2" - - - > HW 282, Optifast 220, SW 213, CW 156 (but I'm on it!)

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 4/10/17 1:38 pm

Don't get discouraged u r doing this for u! U know yourself that u have tried everything and this was a very long process so u had more than enough time to change your mind! As for what u lost on the opti fast don't get discouraged from this either because u lost 6lbs forever not gain! Also opti is to shrink your liver size which I'm sure happened! Prayers being sent to u for a speedy recovery and everything goes as planned! Welcome to the losers bench! You got this!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

Jaype83
on 4/10/17 2:32 pm

Dont let that bother you .... You are almost there.

Congratulations....

All the best

J

Referral March 2016 - Orientation June 6/16  - Nurse July 11/16 -  Social Worker Sept 12/16

Nut class Sept 19/16 - Dietitian Oct 7/16Phyc Nov 9/16 - Surgeon Feb 3/17Surgery April 24/17  

Navy
on 4/10/17 6:00 pm

I had the same conversation with the staff and the surgeon before he booked my date. I understand that they ask with good intentions so I was prepared for the discussion. Anyways as long as you're comfortable with the decision go for it. Don't let it discourage you. Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

Most Active
Recent Topics