Recently referred to HRH but moving from GTA to Sudbury

anncha
on 5/26/17 7:19 am

Hi,

Does anyone know what will happen if my referral was done in southern ON. Would I need to start at the beginning of the process again when I move to Sudbury in July?

My Dr submitted my referral to Humber River Hospital April 28th 2018. We're moving July 1st to Sudbury. I'm really keen that I don't go back to the bottom of the pile because I've moved. I think that people in Sudbury need to travel to TO for the surgery anyway so that shouldn't matter and I heard you can do the orientation via telephone but you'd travel for the other appointments (which I'm fine with).

I know some people who were referred after me have had their orientation appointments through already but I've had nothing yet.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/17 7:38 am - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

If you transfer your referral to Sudbury, yes you would start at the beginning again as different centers have their own procedures. If you have not attended orientation yet, then this may be the way to go, as not only is there the pre-op appointments to consider but the post op ones as well.

anncha
on 5/26/17 7:43 am

I asked in a Sudbury wls facebook group and a couple of people said they had to do all of their appointments in Toronto at either TWH or HRH. It just feels unfair to have to go to the bottom of the pile when it's likely to be at the same hospital!

oneatatime
on 5/26/17 8:21 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I don't know how it works with Humber, but I know with TWH , if you have access restrictions (distance), you can do you appointments by satellite conference.

Basically, what they described is it's in collaboration with a local hospital where you present yourself there, and are set up on a video conference with your appointment with whoever your practitioner is that day at TWH.

I am not using the service since it's not prohibitive for me to go in, and that's preferable for me anyway, but I just thought it was great to have the option for anyone who needs it.

If HRRH doesn't offer it, consider requesting a transfer to TWH maybe?

Kathy1212
on 5/26/17 8:22 am

If you go through Sudbury, you'll do your orientation, and all appointments EXCEPT for the pre op meet the surgical team and the actual surgery in Sudbury. Most of your post op meetings will be in Sudbury as well. I live in Sault Ste. Marie and went through Sudbury, and had to travel there for all of my meetings, then travel to Toronto 3 weeks before surgery, to meet the surgical team and get Optifast. Then back to Toronto for surgery. They also ask that you stay in Toronto for about 5 days after surgery in case there are complications. I believe I only have to go back to Toronto for my 1 year post op meeting. I was not allowed to do orientation by telephone. It was a whole day thing, with classes all day long.

Sudbury has orientation classes just about every week and were flexible about when I could attend.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

anncha
on 5/26/17 8:24 am

Thank you!

I feel heaps better now. I really appreciate your time to reply.

Most Active
Recent Topics