T - 13 Days to Optifast - Saying Goodbye to Favourite Foods

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/25/18 5:11 pm - Windsor, Canada

Very few of us dump long term. If you do you're blessed.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

TheRealMeWithin
on 1/24/18 5:37 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

I'm 7.5 months post-op and I agree with the others that there is no food that is forever gone. There are MANY foods that I haven't eat at all since surgery as I am really trying to make the most of my honeymoon stage. But I know that in the future years I will be able to eat anything if I'm sure to do it in moderation and in keeping with this new healthy lifestyle I have adopted.

As far as the food funeral, I was definitely mentally planning at the foods I was going to eat in the week leading up to Optifast, but for me it never came to fruition. I ended up being called in for a cancellation appointment that was 9 days later, so I had to start Optifast the morning I was called. For me, I think that was actually better. I would have done a TON of damage in that week

For my centre (TWH), we were only allowed calorie free fluids in addition to Optifast:

This is from the manual given at TWH
"Here is a list of calorie-free fluids you can drink.

Drink 6 to 8 cups a day while preparing for surgery.

• water
  • black coffee or tea with artificial sweetener
  • green, herbal or white tea
  • chicken, beef or vegetable broth. Read the label to make sure they have less than 10 calories in a serving
  • calorie free beverages such as sugar-free drink crystals, diet iced tea, diet pop no sugar added Jell-O®
    sugar-free Popsicles®. You can buy these or make your own using calorie free drinks"

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

MichelleS61
on 1/24/18 10:02 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks for all the positive messages!

I too am at TWH and have the same restrictions, and even though I'm eating some foods because I know I won't be able to have them for months I do know in time I will be able to eat them again.

And although we're probably eating out a little more often then we typically would in January, I've been really watching what I eat at all my meals and cutting down on meal sizes (been doing if for months) as I don't eat sweets and do have a healthy diet now, I've been surprised to see the gain but my endocrinologist has says its typical when you start insulin (been at it 18 months now).

Has anyone tried evaporated milk in coffee instead of regular milk/cream? I did this years ago as it provided a more cream like whitening without the fat, I've already managed to eliminate sugar from coffee, and never put it in tea.

I'm hoping Optifast will be like prepping for a colonoscopy, after the first 24-36 hours you don't miss food too much, I'm just hoping I'll be able to stomach the taste/smell.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Kathy1212
on 1/24/18 11:09 am

I'm so excited for you; you're at the beginning of an amazing life changing journey!

I was on Opti for 3 weeks and I had food funerals because I knew I was going to be 100% strict with myself during opti and for months post op. For me personally it helped to say goodbye, although it was a bad idea physically (eating carbs triggers desire for more carbs).

It worked for me. I said goodbye to all of my favorites and didn't cheat once in the 3 weeks of Opti, and was strict with diet and exercise until 11 months post op, when I allowed myself some sugar free Christmas cookies. I had my first piece of post op pizza on Christmas Eve and it was heavenly. I was afraid it would trigger binge eating but it didn't and I haven't had any more pizza or sugar free cookies since then.

Everyone is different, so you have to do what is right for you. I'm not saying to go out and eat everything pre op like I did, but I am saying, if you have a goodbye slice of pizza or a donut, don't beat yourself up. Just make sure that once you start Opti, you're ready to give it your all and stick to the plan. You're in for a wild ride, so hang on and enjoy the journey :-).

I can't speak to going back to work because I don't work, but if I did, 2 weeks would have been too soon for me. Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Tuktu
on 1/24/18 1:15 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

I understand about the food funerals and mourning the loss of food, but honestly its not really like that. You are restricted at first but eventually after months you can eat small portions of almost anything in moderation. After you try the new way of eating healthier and get away from carbs and sugar, you kick alot of the cravings and you feel great, look great - why go back to the bad stuff that got you in trouble in the first place! I am happy to say goodbye to the foods that got me to 300 lbs..

I went back to work (desk job) after second week for half days and then back full time on my third week. I was very tired the first week back for the half days but by the third week I seemed ok.

anncha
on 1/26/18 8:42 am

I'm starting Opti Feb 13th for 2 weeks (pre-op is 12th) before my surgery Feb 27th.

Next week we're all going home to the UK for 10 days. My 2 daughters haven't been back in nearly 4yrs (the youngest was 10 weeks when we moved so it's a big deal for her). As I know I'm coming back on the 10th from the UK and going to TO for my pre-op on the 11th. As such I'm planning on having all of my favourite foods when I'm home because I know when I'm back this is it for the foreseeable future. I'm excited for the new start!

Good luck on your surgery - we're only a day apart :)

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

Most Active
Recent Topics