I know I'm annoying but I'm looking for support/help

staceycvd
on 8/22/18 7:21 am - Canada
RNY on 07/24/18

Hey everyone.

I'm 4 weeks post op and have stalled for a week. (I had my period so maybe that's why).

I'm really struggling with knowing how much I should be eating in a day. I aim for 60-80g protein each day but I don't know how many carbs or calories I should be staying around. This is causing some pretty extreme anxiety for me and I don't have much support from my center (sudbury).

Thanks!

1st Referral: May 31 2012 Orientation: July 17th 2012 Denied at Psych appointment

3rd Referral: June 2016 Orientation: August 2016 Got pregnant and discharged

4th Referral: October 2017 Orientation: April 2018 Pre-op: July 16th Surgery: July 24th!

HW: 281 SW: 269 CW:235.1 GW: ~150-160

corriev
on 8/22/18 7:58 am, edited 8/22/18 12:59 am
VSG on 03/06/18

Hi Stacey - Dont worry about stalling... i also stalled, and while the scale didnt move, i found my body changing everyday.

I stay under 600 Calories and no more than 20 carbs per day - also try to get to 80 or more protein per day. The protein will help healing and fat burning.

Track everything i put in my mouth with my fitness pal . I am sure there are other apps too, but MFP helps me and i find it very accurate. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

2-3 L of water sipping through the day.

Good luck .

crqvingchange
on 8/22/18 11:20 am

Everything Corrie said is perfect. It seems we have trained him well ;). Weight loss is not linear, it goes in steps. I think this is your body's way of adjusting to the changes. Redistribution of fluids and electrolytes someone said. There will be times when you stall. Just search 3 week stall. Don't worry about your calories being low, the idea is to burn your fat stores for energy. The most important things right now are to stay well hydrated and to get in your protein. You've got this girl.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kamac
on 8/22/18 12:53 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

That's the infamous 3 week stall. As CC said, if you do a search you'll see countless people experience it (I stalled at 2 weeks, just to change things up a little I guess).

Most important thing is meeting your protein goals and fluid intake. Protein and hydration are crucial to your health and healing.

I'm a newbie too (6 wks post-op) and the issue of calories also makes me anxious. My center says don't count calories, just measure portions. But that doesn't work for me psychologically. From what I gather, some folks don't count calories. Many keep calories very low, or aim for 600-800/day. And some take in more than that.

I'm tall, middle aged, and a heavyweight. I've decided to deliberately vary my calorie intake so I have lower calorie days (600's), mid calories days (700-800) and a few higher calorie days (900's). So far it's working for me, but if that changes I will re-assess. I track everything in Cronometer so if I hit a snag I can look back at my meals, calories, macros, and even charts with my calorie intake and weight loss progress, to see if there's something I should change.

Low carb is most likely to speed your weight loss. My center is very much against low carb eating, so I keep quiet about it at appointments- I'm honest about what I eat, the dietician tells me to eat more fruit and grains, and I just nod my head.

I've set myself a hard limit of 20g net carbs per day (the standard keto limit) Often I'm under 10g total carbs. I've decided to stay away from fruit and higher carb vegetables while losing. But I'm a carboholic and do better this way. Not everyone is the same.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

linda11665
on 8/22/18 1:26 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hey Girl!!! Breath, just breath. Stalls are normal, you are doing great. The hardest part honestly of this journey is your head.

If your not exercising, (walking, running,) then you are doing great. Your first year, follow what your dr or clinic tells you. The goal is to lose as fast as you can your first year. And your doing great!!

7 years. BTW.

You have this!!!

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
Diminishing Dawn
on 8/23/18 2:28 pm - Windsor, Canada

When I was going through surgery, I was ready for and expecting the inevitable "three week stall". It can actually happen anytime between the 2nd to 9th week post op. I
often forget that some newbies don't know to expect it. You should. You should be expecting it when it happens so you know that it is coming and you are mentally prepared for that period when the scale doesn't budge early out.

(and don't forget to take your measurements every week early out too so that you have something else to measure yourself by other than the scale).

When your body first goes into surgery, it knows that afterward that it is starving. It needs food but you are taking in such little nutrition after surgery that it tries to sneak your glycogen stores. Glycogen stores are the "quick energy stores" stores that allow you for instance to run out quickly if a mouse is on the floor. It's your "instant energy" in your body.

So your body thinks "hmmm...it's just a little hurdle, I'll get my energy from the glycogen stores".

Well after a few weeks of this, your body realizes that this is not a short term thing anymore. It realizes that using energy from your glycogen stores isn't very efficient and very long term. So it has to THINK a bit.

(This is where the stall comes in).

Then it says "A-hah!!!!". It realizes that it has a lot of fuel on your body - your fat stores, so it's going to start burning some energy from there and shrink those fat cells.

Then the body will resume into full burning mode and guess what? The scale will start moving again.

This is a GREAT things when it happens. Although it sucks that the scale doesn't move, it means that it is going to start burning the stored fat you have
(especially the stuff in your but. Lol).
So be happy about that inevitable stall -mmm it's fat burnin' season!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics