Question re: Hospital Stay- how long?

selkiem
on 4/27/19 3:58 pm

I'm booked into Toronto Western for the RNY on June 11 (a few appointments still to go)- Question - I know they say two days but does that mean, for instance, I check in at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, have my surgery booked at 11 a.m. - am I in for Tuesday night and Wednesday night? or when they say "two days" do they mean I could be discharged Wednesday evening? Just want to plan ahead as I need to book hotel rooms for family etc. This, of course, is given that everything goes fine.

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/19 7:15 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

I had my surgery at Toronto Western at 2:00pm on a Thursday and was discharged by 11:00am on the Friday. I had no complications and followed the nurses instructions to the letter. I used the timer on my phone to make sure I sipped my water every 15 minutes.

My "roomate" was violently vomiting from drinking undiluted apple juice which terrified me as I had to listen to her being ill all night. I think she stayed in hospital 3 nights.

selkiem
on 4/28/19 6:27 am

Thank you! Assume undiluted apple juice not on the menu?? Seems too much sugar in it. Good idea about the timer. Ibinte d to do the same as you... Follow instructions exactly!

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/19 7:37 am
VSG on 03/21/19

Coffee, apple juice, orange juice and sugar free jello were given on our breakfast trays. During pre-op appt. I was told no coffee and to dilute juice with water and sip every 15 minutes using the tiny measuring cup provided. I left the coffee, the diluted orange juice made me nauseous but I was ok with the diluted apple juice. Good luck to you and you'll be on the mend before you know it

selkiem
on 4/29/19 7:47 am

Thank you!! I LOVE coffee but don't and never have been a fan of any juice and love water (drink tons of it)- ... just really pumped and ready to go on this! Thanks again for your input!

helferships
on 4/29/19 2:47 pm
RNY on 11/14/16

You might not like water for a while after surgery. It gave me a pain for a good year unless I added some flavour enhancer like Mio. Something about the specific gravity of plain water. 2 years out I enjoy it again but it took a while. YMMV of course.

Lucile777
on 5/14/19 7:20 pm

You will never be able to drink tons of water again. That is one thing I miss- guzzling water.

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

selkiem
on 5/15/19 6:30 am

I know we were told that after surgery have water with all the time and keep sipping all the time (except before, during and after meals, of course)- so I guess that is why :( ..... we can't drink much at one time - I WILL miss that - I'm a huge water drinker, always have been - never understood people who had issues getting it in - that will be one of the things I will mourn! I realize this process is sort of like a period of saying goodbye to a lot of what filled your life before - which is overall, a good thing, I mean it got us to this point, right? Where we are drastically altering our bodies to give us quality of life? I don't drink pop anymore (never drank to excess but always enjoyed a diet pepsi, a few times a week)- as we were told to give it up after our nutrition course. I have weaned myself off other things too. And a lot of what I wont' be able to eat again is fine - no regrets - clearly chocolate, pastries and other stuff like that did me no favours! But will miss my copious amounts of water LOL

Lucile777
on 5/15/19 8:23 pm

I can honestly say that the only thing I truly mourn is the ability to guzzle water!!!! The aversions to food, I don't really care about.

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Most Active
Recent Topics