Stress Eating? How do you handle it today that is different then pre-WLS?

Laureen S.
on 2/3/13 10:08 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

At our support group (Barix) on Saturday, a lot of talk was about the stress of daily living and how we very often handle it by eating (especially as a pre-op), which really is about comforting/soothing ourselves instead of taking action to do something about that which is stressing us. . .

My take on our conversations was that we need to be in action to alleviate stress, exercise is one form, talking to others about what is going on is also a good solution, another perhaps is getting outside of our selves via volunteering our time for something that is a good cause. 

Life is stressful, what's your best way of handling stress, please share what works for you.

Something I realize for me, is that I must be conscious when I am reaching for food, as to whether I am eating to feed my body or eating for comfort or pleasure beyond what is necessary.  I have made it a point to get back to logging everything I put in my mouth, as it is those things I forget I've eaten, those unconscious choices that get me going in the wrong direction.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 2/4/13 5:26 am - Croydon, PA

I use the Serenity Prayer when it comes to stressful situations.  Can I change it?  If not, I pray for acceptance and serenity.  Can I change it?  If so, I might need the courage to do that, or a plan.  I may enlist the help of others if something needs to be changed.  Most recently I wanted to eat over an emotional issue, last night, and, instead, I reached out for my telephone and texted a couple of friends, then found someone to actually talk to.  I haven't solved my problem, but put enough space between me and the food so to give myself the time to remember that food was not going to fix the problem.  And while it might have sedated me for a little while, binging would have come with the guilt, shame and remorse I am trying to live without.  I have also been known to journal or post incessantly. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

musicaldonna
on 2/4/13 6:38 am - PA

I have no doubt that logging my food would be super helpful to me but I have always resisted doing this.  I'm sure that some of this has to do with a sense of denial about my food addiction.  One thing that works for me is to stop for a few minutes, slow down my breathing and then see if the need for food is still there.  The activity piece is key for me.  Keeping busy and getting out of myself is a tremendous help.  Nothing earth shattering to add to what's been said.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1893 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2573 views