In Costa Rica for a Facelift...

Don 1962
on 3/19/12 12:16 am
Very "cougarisque".

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

JustLookingToo
on 5/12/12 6:15 am - AL
Lol, Thanks (I think!). Just saw this post. Funny, lol.

Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 5/12/12 5:54 am - Bandera, TX
I have really enjoyed reading your posts and details about your experiences.  I am so very excited to be returning to the love of my career and helping people like me who for whatever reason whether financial,privacy, or desire for top surgeons with great credentails and outcomes have decided to travel abroad to have weight-loss surgery or cosmetic procedures.  I think it is so very important for all to share their experiences.  I as a medical professional of almost 18 years, find it amazing that so many think only talented surgeons,doctors, and healthcare facilities are here in the US. 

Thanks again,

Stefanie Bailey RN BSN 
Regional Managing Partner
www.wisebailey.com

JustLookingToo
on 5/12/12 6:37 am - AL
Thanks Stefanie. I just took a quick look at your website, and it's one of the nicest websites I've seen. Lots of information. I'll look at it in more detail in a bit. 

Before going to Costa Rica for my facelift, I had never been on an airplane, or out of the country. Everyone thought that I had lost my mind, but I was determined to get to Dr. Lev after seeing his work and talking with some of his patients. 

I very much enjoyed my stay at CheTica Ranch, and one of the most memorable parts of the entire experience was getting to know the other patients at the ranch, many of whom used other surgeons. It was so interesting to get to know them and learn their backgrounds. Two of the ladies who were patient of Dr. Lev's, and who stayed at the ranch with me were doctors who lived in the U.S.. There were also husbands and wives, mothers and daughters, and people from all walks of life. It was amazing to me to know that people from all walks of life would get on a plane and go to Costa Rica for surgery (I thought I was the only crazy one, I guess). Many of them had been there several times before.

Another thing that surprised me was that the dental industry is so big there. There were lots of people who had gone to Costa Rica just for dental work. Also, some things that are routine healthcare over there are only done here as advanced health care. Some of the ladies who had surgery were seeing a dermatologists for an inexpensive scan (on some kind of machine) that picks up very early skin cancer. I think they said that it cost them a hundred bucks for the visit and the scan.

I wish that I had gone a few days early so I could have seen some of the country. Ruben, the owner of CheTica took me a few miles down the road and showed me some waterfalls and the gorgeous rainforests and mountains the day before I left. 

One more thing...the people who live there were all SO VERY NICE! They did not have an Anti-American attitude like I have heard that many people from other countries have. They were honest, hard-working people. I really enjoyed meeting them.

I see now why many people describe Costa Rica as "Being like America, but different." That's a very accurate statement. The roads are good, the cars are modern, for instance, but people in Costa Rica drive a little crazier, lol. I had to laugh at all the honking and finger pointing that people do when driving. Not dangerous, per say, but humorous. The food seemed fresher there, with freshly grown fruits. Several ladies commented on the freshenss of the cakes and breads that we bought at a local grocery store when compared to what we buy in the U.S.. They don't seem to use all of the preservatives. The pharmacies are funny, lol, because you can walk in and ask for an antibiotic shot (one of the ladies who used another doctor had a slight redness in her arm incision, and was sent to the pharmacy). She said that you show them your written instructions (or a call to your doctor) or even just your red incision, and they have you step in the back, drop your pants, and get the shot right there. Funny, but much less time consuming that having to make an appointment to get one here in the U.S., I suppose.

Well, this is getting long. I'm scheduled for a tummy tuck in the U.S. on June 7th because it's going to be the same price as it would in Costa Rica and because my current schedule would not allow me to go back for the longer recover. Also, because a tummy tuck carries a higher risk of post-surgical problems, so I decided to stay at home because of the above reasons. I still want an arm lift and a breast lift eventually, and will probably do that in Costa Rica in the Spring of 2013 (if the Myans are wrong about December 21st, lol). I can't tell you how refreshing it is to recover in the healing mists of a Costa Rican rain forest. I LOVED it!!

Most Active