6 Months=No Loss? (Met question)

Cheleya
on 8/1/06 12:30 am - Somewhere, MI
Hi everyone, It has been awhile since I posted here, though I do peruse this board periodically. Truthfully, I wi**** were more active...then again, I guess I can start posting more and perhaps then I'd be doing my part! My WLS (open RNY) was Jan 23rd this year. I have never found my loss to be easy, and even though my peers are still losing 3-5lbs a week, I have stopped...in fact, I have gained. At my 6 month mark, I was down to 198.5 and was thrilled that I hit "Onederland". I was there for about five minutes...actually, a couple of days. Then I started creeping up again. The next day, 199, the next 200, then 201, yesterday 202 and this morning, 203. I'm extremely unhappy about this. I now weigh more than I did right before the Fourth of July. 6 Months minus 87lbs...that's nice and I'm thankful. I know we aren't supposed to compare ourselves to others, but I want to cry sometimes, thinking this may be "it" for me. The goal is to be healthy and happy...well, I feel that I am healthy! From after the first 2 months (Hibernation period...went through that in a big way), I have exercised 6-7 days a week. I have a personal trainer and do cardio 3 days a week, weight resistance/training the other 3 days and I swim laps also. I follow what I need to do in terms of protein, fluids (though I'm always working on this), supplements and exercise. I had a feeling my body would fight me on the 200 mark. It seems that it doesn't want to budge. If I had known that this would be "it", I don't think I would have had the surgery, truthfully. Metformin: I was on it for 3-4 years prior to WLS but after I had the surgery, stopped. I'm wondering if I should go back on it to help me lose again? Has anyone gone back on Metformin/Glucophage after surgery and when did you start again? 6 Months. That's all I got? What is even more frightening is that I haven't maintained, but GAINED in spite of the malabsorption, restricted calories (due to having the pouch) and daily exercise. This terrifies me, as I know the body eventually adapts to accomodate our malabsorption and eventually, that aspect is no longer there to help us lose or maintain. Can anyone offer any hope? I'm to the point where I want to severely cut calories or just do protein shakes for a week or two. I tried doing that for a DAY but felt horrible and ended up eating (though eating a normal WLS friendly meal) again and felt better. I'm exasperated and I feel defeated. Please help, if you can. Thanks! Chele
Darlene X
on 8/1/06 7:06 am - Maricopa, AZ
Chele, Hang in there, you HAVE NOT AND ARE NOT FAILING---- so don't feel like one. Your loss has NOT stopped. Stalls and plateaus are SOOOO normal. If your following what you should be--- which youve already said you are then there is NO way this is the end. Your working out a lot, and building muscle mass along with a weight loss stall would account for gaining a few lbs. Salt, and water flucuations account for weight change too. Do you measure your inches? I know when we get into a stall it's very hard not to start worrying and think, this is it! Im not going to lose anymore! I stall for 2 weeks EVERY month, it drives me crazy! LOL 87lbs is AMAZING! You are doing great, your getting fit--- I would suggest hiding or smashing that scale.... and just keep focusing on your healthy lifestyle for a while.... weighing is good, but so early out it can drive us nuts... take a break from the scale for a month and concentrate on those wow moments, and sizes dropping. One of the most reassuring things for me is to know how many calories Im eating daily (Fitday.com) and also knowing what my BMR is--- the amount of calories your body burns just to stay alive...like if you were in a coma. I know I eat about 800 calories a day, and my BMR is 1900 calories (Google "BMR Calculator")--- add to that BMR any exercise, and just plain walking to work etc, and Im probably burning more like 2500 calories a day... knowing that I KNOW that I cannot be gaining weight, even when the scale fluctuates or stops for a time. Take a breath!!!! Your doing fine! Darlene 338/232/170
Cheleya
on 8/1/06 10:22 pm - Somewhere, MI
Darlene, Unfortunately, I never took measurements! I always said I was going to do that, but never did and I regret it. This has not been my only stall, I have had several and I know what you mean, each time I panic as well. I think I'm worried each time because of my past experiences with dieting. I dieted my way up to 290lbs, literally...even under my doctor's care. I gained weight on 800 calories a day without cheating and with exercising very regularly....that's when my doctor wanted me to go to a Low Carb way of eating and added Metformin. Obviously, that too never truly worked at least to the degree desired, because here I am! I never considered calories in minus calories out=loss with my body. There are so many other aspects that can effect the result. I would love it if it worked that way though, because one can count on numbers! They can be trustworthy in that respect. Yet, my body has always done what it wanted to do, no matter how hard I worked. I truly have metabolic issues, in other words....probably, most of us on this board do. I do have a Fitday account, but I started getting to the point where I felt overwhelmed by logging everything that went into my mouth, exercise, etc...though I was doing that for a few months. I felt I needed a break from it as for me, it's easy to become a little obsessed (my relationship with the scale is truly a Love/Hate thing!). I see you have lost over 100lbs and I think that is OUTSTANDING! I wanted to deeply thank you for your response to my post. I have been really having a rough time of things lately and your post really helped me by giving me a ray of hope that perhaps it's not over for me. Thanks so very much! Chele
Jannie
on 8/7/06 10:58 am - Altoona, PA
I was dignosed with PCOS a few years ago. What frustrates me is that I thought after the weight loss began the PCOS symptoms would subside. Some have gotten MUCH worse. mainly the excess hair. My GP put me back on Met at my 3 month follow-up because I was having issues with chronic ovarian pain... it has subsided considerably. I never had success using met as a weight loss aid, though. I only lost 2 lbs between april and may and 5 between may and June. My surgeon switched my diet from eating 6 times a day, and every 3 hours to 4 times a day, every four. I also only eat carbohydrates once per day. Usually with my evening meal. I had been in a rut... eating pretty much the same thing at the same meals day in and day out. I mixed things up a bit....... and have managed to *finally* begin losing steadily again. Increasing the water intake has helped, too. I hope that helps You're not alone!
Shawneena
on 8/12/06 8:42 am - MI
Perhaps this isn't the post I should be reading being that I'm still a pre-op with PCOS. I was told that the PCOS symptoms would subside mostly, but I guess that just shows that everyone is different. What I did find out about Metformin/Glucophage is that long term use will/has been known to cause weight gain. When I first started on it, I lost 50 lbs. I've been on it over 2 years and am now gaining at a steady pace. Again, I'm pre-op. From what I have read however, stalls and plateaus are normal, even with some weight gain. And like a previous "poster" said, you're building muscle mass. Muscle weighs much more than fat does, so it's possible that you're actually losing fat. For example, you lost 5 lbs of fat, but gained 10 in muscle. You're body is much leaner in that case. How are your clothes fitting? Take measurements now, it's not too late. See what happens after a couple of weeks, if there are changes in inches. Good luck, and don't give up hope yet!! Your journey is just beginning!
Cheleya
on 8/12/06 11:09 am - Somewhere, MI
Hi there, That's interesting about Met causing weight gain over time....I hadn't heard that before. Plateaus are normal, yes...and frustrating. I went a month at 213 before the scale moved again. Nothing I did made a difference. Nothing. I'm completely convinced that my body will start dropping weight only when it's ready to do so. As for measurements, I'm bummed that I never took any! My clothes never fit differently during plateaus. Another thing I notice is when I start feeling cold again, I start dropping weight. Weird, huh? I don't know about the muscle mass theory...I guess I believe it. It's just that muscle or not, I don't want to weigh 200lbs. I'm sure I am more lean, but.... The scale has moved from 202 to 197, gradually....over the past several days. I have not been doing anything different...in fact, I have probably been getting in less fluid just because I have been so busy. I'm also on my period now...so I'm hoping I drop another couple soon. Thanks for the support and best of luck to you, Chele
Haziefrog
on 9/26/06 12:23 pm - AR
I had my Lap Rny on 02/05/2003, and I had been on glucophage prior to my surgery. I stopped taking it but ended up going back on it (I think it was about 8 months out), because my endocrinologist told me that we will never be cured, some of the symptoms may go away, but we are never cured. I still take it 2000 mg a day. I was a very slow loser, but as I sit here weighing 113 lbs, I know that you can lose the weight with PCOS, oh I started at 325 lbs! It has taken me all 3.5 years to lose the weight, hang in there it will happen for you too! Hazel
Paula M.
on 9/30/06 1:12 pm - Leesburg, FL
I could never take Met as it also caused me to gain weight. I would try not taking it at all. Its not really a necessary drug with PCO. Your weight loss should be enough to keep your blood sugar levels normal. Talk to your doc. Paula
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1058 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3011 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3618 views