Anyone lost much with lap-band?

Sandra F.
on 9/18/06 7:33 pm - Highland Village, TX
Hi, Im pre-op and new to OH. I'm weighing my options, and am trying to learn which surgery is best for someone with PCOS. I lean toward the lap-band because it's reversible, I want to get pregnant in a few years and may need increased nutrition, and I dread any kind of dumping. Anyone with PCOS have any input on their own lap-band, or maybe input on why they chose NOT to get the lap-band? Thanks for your help. Sandra
MissVirgo GoddessTN
on 9/21/06 3:24 pm - TN
I started this journey wanting the lap-band but after doing research on here and talking to people who had converted from lap-band to RNY due to slippage, erosion and other problems, i decided that RNY was best for me. Also with my BMI being over 50, I wanted a better chance of making it to a normal weight. There are hundreds of thousands of women who have carried children successfully with a RNY. I don't know about you, but I NEED the threat of dumping. You say the lapband is reversible...but its not put in with the intention of being taken out so for you to have surgery, you don't want to reverse anything right? Well under extreme cir****tances, RNY CAN be reversed, its just harder. But it is very rare that it is done. People with PCOS have a harder time losing weight because we are insulin resistant. These are things to think about. Also, speak to your surgeon and/or endocrinologist to see what your chances are when matched up with your weight loss goals and your pregnancy goals. Valencia
Danielle J.
on 9/23/06 1:03 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Dear Sandra, Valencia's thoughts are her opinions, as are mine. There is no surgery that is better, per se. It really depends on what you want, what's most important and how you feel about those things. I have a BMI over 50....have lost over 40 pounds (haven't updated my profile yet) since having surgery on 7/17 and I have PCOS. That's 2 months, Sandra. I am not an EXTREME CASE EITHER. It's possible to achieve whatever you want with either surgery but truly the results vary because of you. If you get the band and see you have to work hard...work hard is what you must do. Everyone that gets the bypass doesn't have dumping, by the way! And not all bandsters are small. Please write me personally, I have a number of things to share with you, including groups on Yahoo for Extraordinary Bandsters (bandsters with BMI over 50) and Cysters that have the band. Are you a sweet eater or an over eater? That matters, too. I now eat very little sweets (which technically we're not supposed to eat sweets and carbs anyway because it aggravates the symptons of PCOS) and sweets were my problem. Cutting them out up to 75% is a great help with my weight loss and generally, some believe that if you're a problematic sweet-eater, the band isn't for you. I proved and will continue to prove that theory wrong. I know a guy (on the lap band boad, named Wendell) who's BMI was over 70 who has lost over 200 pounds with the band. There are others....don't believe the hype, Valencia. The band is (fact) safer because it is less invasive, your "plumbing" is not altered, and it is very reversible (I don't know what Valencia means by saying that it's not meant to be reversed). I want kids, too, Sandra (as I have none) and the thought of malnutrition crossed my mind, as well. The risks in the Bypass just weren't worth it to me. Even with the worst risks with the band, you're not liable to die. NO ONE HAS DIED FROM THE BAND. Visit the memorial page, sweetie on this site....while there are people that are successful with the bypass (many, I might add), those numbers are haunting. My doctor is opting to not do the bypass anymore soon. Many are doing that. My conclusion, know and compare the facts and figure out what's important to you. Do you want fast weight loss? If so, consider the bypass. Hope this helps, Danielle
Sandra F.
on 9/24/06 9:45 pm - Highland Village, TX
Thanks to both you guys for your input. If I had to choose, I love the concept of the DS. I get scared of the risks though, after having read some books and Medline articles on existing gastric bypass procedures, mortalities, and morbidities. I originally came to OH to research the band, then became totally sideswiped by DS. It has some really attractive benefits. THEN I found the Medline articles, some books, and the Memorials board. Oh boy, what a tearjerker. I went through every one of them. There were a few DS, but most were RNY. Most of the bypasses done in the US are RNY though, so thats expectable. My family is quite fearful of the bypass statistics. I've considered the answer might be to try the lap band, while keeping the DS as a fall-back plan. I dread 6-12 fills per year though. That would probably make me woozie. Are these painful? Is the needle that goes into your port very looooong? As for sweets, I love them (of course!!), but I can get by without them if I eat enough fruit. And yep, I like to overeat often, unfortunately. Regarding my PCOS, if I restrict my diet enough I can actually lose weight. I just cant keep it off, because I get tired of always being hungry. I need to work on stopping once I'm full, and not eating when I'm not hungry. My choices are also not always the wisest, either. Does the lap band make it easy to meet a total daily intake of only 1000 cal? If it just stops me from being so ravished all the time, it may work fine for me. I looked forward to DS, and its great results. I really wanted the lack of dumping and puking too. The bands low risk level has been really alluring, though. That, and the ability to increase nutrition levels, should I decide to procreate. One plus is that, in reading a book about the band by Dr. Ariel Ortiz (supposedly one of the best), I've learned that slipping and prolapse risks can be almost eliminated if you get a doctor who sutures in 4 different places to hold it in place well. Thanks for all the info. I appreciate everyone on this OH board in a VERY big way. Its refreshing, and gives me hope to find a place with camaraderie such as this. --Sandra
Ladybugz_247
on 10/1/06 1:20 pm - Ontario, CA
Sandra.. I have pcos and It has been a lil hard because when its that time of the month your band seams to losen so we eat more..lol since my cycles are so irregular they last up to 6 weeks! yup I got it bad so it slows down my process. I am averaging 10lbs per month but it's slowed lately. umm I also wanted the RNY but I figured I'd try the band first since its less invasive. I have 3 children and the thought of all the "what if's" were to scary for me to go with the RNY.. of course if this band doesn't work I will be going for it.. so far so good. I'm glad I gave it a shot. Oh and the fills aren't so bad they dont hurt at all its just like a shot fast and easy. I have needed 3 fills so far and I am 5 monthes post op Wendy
Vivid
on 11/2/06 10:57 pm - Western, MA
Sandra, I have PCOS and had the lap-band in Jan 05. Since the date of surgery, all of my symptoms have disappeared BUT this is possible with ANY form of weight loss. It's the lowering of your BMI that triggers your body to get back into "normal" mode, not any specific surgery or method. You mentioned that you can skip candy as long as you have fruits (in regards to dumping syndrome). ANY kind of sugar (and fruits are loaded with fructose) can cause dumping, if you're one of the people who gets that after RNY. Best of Luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1076 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3032 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3630 views