Hysterectomy / hysteroscopy/ PCOS/ ANEMIA

OHAngel2006
on 12/15/06 5:52 am - GA

I am 2 years post op and today I went to my gynecologist because of spotting. I have never spotted in my life. I am 2 weeks away from my period and my pelvis is very tender and so are my nipples.  I am 39 years old (40 comes in April! ugh) and my doc today says "so when you want your hysterectomy?" . Well that freaked me out. Not that I plan on having more children, my tubes were tied 6.5 years ago but just the realization of it hit hard. I AM OLD! So my doc realizes that this idea freaks me out and begins to describe a procedure in which they can now remove the lining of the uterus and make me stop bleeding. I am severely anemic (due to WLS) and just had my first Iron infusion ( 8 hours long) on 11-1-06. I asked my doc if my PCOS was a  consideration and he said I am not a big cancer risk because I took birth control and had children so my ovarian cancer risk is dimished. Now he wants me to talk with my hematologist and track my periods as far as how much I am bleeding .

anyone else had to deal with similar situation/symptoms/ cir****tances?

Kristy T.
on 12/15/06 4:17 pm - Stockton, CA
Yikes!  How scary to have a hysterectomy suggested already!  And you are NOT old!  Although the hysterscopy sounds like it could be a good idea (so that your iron levels stay up due to the anemia but I feel that a hysterectomy is a little much right now...unless that is your anemia is severe and cycling makes it just that much worse.  Unfortunately I haven't had any of these issues...but do want to send you lots of prayers that everything gets sorted out to your best benefit! Kristy
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
Tammy .
on 1/3/07 3:06 am - Martinsburg, WV
I am five years post op, RNY, I am severely anemic also.  We are testing to find if there are any other causes.  I just had a colonoscopy last week.  He removed some polyups, but couldn't find any leaks or such.  My H&H is 7.7 and 26 (lower than it was BEFORE I started taking iron supplements). and before menstration also.  So since I started that monthly cycle two days ago, I wander what my h&h is now.  Could you tell me what is iron infusion?  My next step is going back to the GP next week, and the surgeon suggested seeing a hematologist  too.  You can email me at [email protected]  Thanks, Tammy
OHAngel2006
on 1/3/07 4:03 am - GA
an Iron infusion is where they give it to you thru an IV... like a blood transfusion. I finally had my appt with my hematologist today and he also thinks I need a hysterectomy. I am having a endometrial biopsy on Monday to check to see if there is anything else going on... which is a scary thing... I dont like the word biopsy.   
Haziefrog
on 1/17/07 10:57 am - AR
I had a hysterectomy at 39 for the same reasons, I was bleeding so much that my doctors felt it was best to take it out!  I had a huge fibroid, and when they did the hysterectomy my doctor found out that I also had adenomyosis. So the hysterectomy was the right choice for me. Hazel
sizeabledifference
on 1/28/07 10:46 am - Saint Martinville, LA
I am dealing with the sme situation with the anemia and the menstrual cycle.  I just turned 50.  My gyn said no to a hysterectomy, my wl surgeon said yes and my oncologist said yes.  I also had the infusions twice because of the anemia.  I take very strong iron pills and many, many vitamins.  My problem is not solved.  I am at a point that I do not know anymore who to listen to.  I do not feel that the doctors really understands what women who still have their periods are going through.  Here in LA the doc's think that it is a joke.  I do not.  Is the procedure you are referring to called ablation? That is what my gyn said that he would do instead of a hysterectomy because I am too young for this, in his words.
OHAngel2006
on 1/28/07 11:54 am - GA
Yes! ablation... that's the word!
Kristiane S.
on 2/8/07 12:10 pm - Oxnard, CA
I am only 3 weeks post op, but had my hysterectomy at 32.  I had uncontrolled bleeding with the PCOS and Endometriosis.  I just found out last year that the metobolic syndrom that comes with PCOS dosen't go away with a total Hysterectomy.  So as you look into keep that in mind.  Blessings as you consider you options. Kristi

Being at peace with yourself is a direct result of finding peacewith God.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1076 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3032 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3630 views